Question

Who's got them, and where can I get more information about them? I have three on order from Stachans, due to arrive June 6th. I know they were started from a beekeeping program in WV, but I don't know what strain they are from(I assume Italians). I did a google and nothing came up other then a paragraph in the West Virginia beekeeping assosiation. I assume they were selected through the breeding program for mite resistance and the West Virginia climate. I would like to get more specifics on these bees. Anyone with some info your help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there anyone that can help?

The West Virginia queens are being developed in an ongoing program by the WV Beekeepers Association. They started with pure Buckfast queens imported from Canada several years ago. We paid 50 cents extra per queen to fund the program. Asst. State Apiary Inspectors evaluate all queens each year and select the best 4 based on the usual criteia [gentleness, honey production, disease reistance, etc.] and these are purchased from the beekeeper for use as next year's breeder queens. Two years ago, the decision was made to cross them with New World Carniolans through Strachan and Pendell Apiaries. The WV beekeepers have been very satisfied with the results of those crosses so far. Hope that helps you understand the program and the queens. Good luck!

Danno1800,

Thanks for the information! I was beginning to wonder what the heck these bees really were. Where did you get your information from? Are you taking part in this program? It would be interesting to read an article posted by someone in charge, or a participant of the program. It seems as though there isn't much available info on these bees.

There is no article online that I know of...I learn about the program from going to our WV State Beekeepers meetings each year and hearing about it. I am not a participiant in the program, but I do buy daughter queens from Strachan. I have been very satisfied with them, and with the New World Carniolans in general. I took Dr. Sue Cobey's queen rearing course at Ohio State University so I could raise my own local queens. Good luck!