For those who know, I have a few questions.
    Are the following things normal?
    Some hives going like gang busters the day after installation and others not.
    Some small clusters of bees in emptied packages.

The first sunny day I get I plan to release the queens, and replace the frames taken out during the installation process. Does this sound good?

I'm just trying not to screw up too bad.

------------------
    Sol Parker
    Southern Oregon Apiaries

Wired: yes some bees start working quicker than other's,I'd get the small cluster out of the package & completly move the package away from there.You did'nt say where your package's came from,But more than likly they have been together counting the time the breeder shook them in the shiping box I'd say at least 2 day's,or more. I,ve installed a lot of package bee's & If I know they have been together that long I release the queen as soon as I install the package,& never had any problem with them accepting her,some breed's of bee's may be different I don't know,Just my way,but it's alway's worked for me, Good luck Mark

They are from Koehnens. I did release a carniolan queen, and they were feeding her, but when one of the italians got out, they balled her and there was one bee trying to sting her so I put her back in the cage.
    They were shaken on thursday, and I picked them up Saturday morning and installed them saturday afternoon.
    The one hive that is going the best is the hive with the loose Carniolan queen.

------------------
    Sol Parker
    Southern Oregon Apiaries

I'm not sure what you mean by small clusters of bees in the empty packages. It sounds like you set the cages inside the hive body. If this is the case, are the small clusters all you have or are there other bees on the frames? If there are only a few bees left in the hive body, they have drifted to the other boxes.

The response of package bees varies a lot. Sometimes it takes over a week for the queens to start to lay.

What I meant was that the screen boxes laying on the ground had some little clusters of bees, some not. The clusters varied in size from about 15 bees to about 30. They seemed very cold and when shaken out on to the hive entrances, they moved very slowly.

------------------
    Sol Parker
    Southern Oregon Apiaries

I would shake them out ont he entrance and move the boxes somewhere else. There may be a couple of bees in them, but that's a smaller loss than if a cluster of them dies from the cold.