I just split my two hives Sunday and I am waiting for the "new" hives to requeen themselves. How long should I wait before checking in the hives for queen cells ? And at what point should I bite the bullet and pay the $50 for two queens from Kona Queens in HI if no cells show up??
I think you are a bit late in trying to make a split and raise your own queen. I am not sure there will be that many drones for her to mate with when she is ready. Also I think you will be a bit short of bees to winter with.
If I were you, I would reverse the split and destroy any queen cells that I found.
[This message has been edited by magnet-man (edited September 29, 2004).]
>I just split my two hives Sunday and I am waiting for the "new" hives to requeen themselves. How long should I wait before checking in the hives for queen cells ?
You'll see queen cells in 48 hours. You'll have an emerged queen in about 13 days from the split, but you won't get a bred queen until (and unless) she finds enough drones and nice enough weather to fly and then under ideal conditions you won't see eggs until 25 days from the split. 20 days from now, when she needs to mate, there may not be any drones left. And there's not much time for them to build up. Buying laying queens will buy you 25 days or so but it still me be too late in the season. But then I don't live in the South.
>And at what point should I bite the bullet and pay the $50 for two queens from Kona Queens in HI if no cells show up??
I'm sure they will build queen cells. The two questions are will the queens get mated well (are there enough drones and enough good flying weather) and will the hives build up enough for winter. I don't know when/if you have winter where you live, but it's pretty serious here. Maybe someone from your locality can give you better advice on the timing, but my guess is it's late to be doing splits.
How many frames thickly covered with bees, how many frames of brood and how many frames of stores in each split?
You MIGHT be far enough south to get away with this.
I would check with the local bee keepers to see when the drones are usually kicked out, and how many bees and stores you need for your local winters.
I am on the SC boarder AND on the coast.
Winter comes late and is mild. It is currently in the mid to high 80's during the day and we can expect highs in the mid seventies through at least Thanksgiving. Generally we get a week or two in the low 30's in January and the Maple starts blooming in February, marking the arrival of "Spring."
These bees were hived from a nuc last year the second week in March and I was puuling honey in June
I consulted with the local bee guru (from whom I bought my nucs) before attempting the split, because I felt it was late as well. He said it won't be a problem. I have a ton of drones in all four hives and have about a full medium super of honey on each hive.
I had planned to split them earlier in the year but we were dealing with remnants of the four hurricanes that hit Florida and a couple of tropical depressions and stroms before that so the weather wasn't allowing the splits.
The local beekeeper should know more about the timing there than I would know.
The weather has been so warm here, until the last couple of days, I would have been tempted to make a split, if I didn't look at the calander.
[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited September 30, 2004).]