Thread: Cell sizes

I'm going the small cell route and have started to take note of the various sizes. My new swarm built some comb from scratch and it measured about 6.2. It had a touch of honey in it and was built in an empty hive body I sat on top of a lower. I suspect this would have been used for food and would have been a little larger than brood. I measured some natural brood comb I got from a likely first generation feral colony. It was about 5.2. This 5.2 reflects what I've read about the first regression to natural size. What I'm looking for is a comparison of cell sizes of standard, regression(s), and natural. From what I've read brood goes from 5.6 to 5.1 to 4.8ish. What about drone and honey?

Thanks

>From what I've read brood goes from 5.6 to 5.1 to 4.8ish. What about drone and honey?

My observations are brood is sometimes as small as 4.6mm with a significant amount at 4.7mm. Most runs about 4.8 to 4.85 but some is as big as 5.1 or 5.2. The drone comb seems to run about 6.0 to 6.6 with the transition cells being in between.

How do you measure cell size? A vernier caliper?