Thread: progress

Last week I had put a 2nd deep on top of the 1st and removed a new super with no drawn comb and left the old super that had brood and honey. Today, I checked and found that the super now has worker brood and a few drone brood. The 2nd deep was almost fully drawn and had evenly-patterned worker brood and lots of nectar and some sealed honey! I found the queen on the third frame I pulled out and she is large and golden-coppery-colored. She wasn't running, but she did try to hide. Lots of larvae and capped brood. I left her there and put the excluder on top between the super and 2nd deep. I'm going to see what transpires with the brood in the super and see if they go ahead and fill the super and cap it. Cotton is blooming right next to my hive.

If I follow your post correctly it sounds like things are going well. If you have lots of capped honey in the super above the brood chamber then I would take out the queen excluder. The queen won't move up past the sealed honey and the worker bees can store honey easier if they don't have to wiggle through the queen excluder.

If I follow correctly the queen was in the 2nd deep and had already been laying in the super. Is the bottom deep capped honey now? Capped brood? Open brood? If the bottom deep is capped honey I would swap the two deeps so that the capped honey is over the queen and I'd probably leave the excluder until the brood in the super is capped. When there is open brood up there, the queen might decide to go there to lay, but the capped honey tends to stop her. Once there is a "capped honey barrier" to stop the queen and the brood is capped in the super, I would take the excluder off myself. I agree it's a lot of work for the bees squeezing through the excluder.

I didn't check the bottom deep this time. But last week it was nectar and brood and she had moved up to the new deep and was laying some really nice consistent patterns in what comb had been drawn. I want all the brood to emerge in the honey super and as soon as it is gone, I'll pull the excluder back out. I don't think there is enough sealed honey in the top deep to keep her from crossing it. There is just a little bit in a couple of outside frames. The brood in the honey super should be gone in another week, then I'll feel like I'm back to square #1 there.

I wouldn't worry too much as long as she has room to lay.

If you want to stop her laying in the top super it might be better to leave the excluder till the brood's hatched, just to be on the safe side. on the whole, though, I don't like them; not everyone agrees, but I find I get a lot more honey without them. Once there's a bridge of honey above the broodnest its pretty unusual for the queen to pass it.

I don't like the idea of an excluder either, but I want to get the brood out of this honey super, more as a benchmark than anything else. Once the brood is emerged, I'll remove the excluder. I'm not taking any honey this year, anyway, unless they fill this super and I can add another. The previous owner of this super(I bought a hive to combine with my swarm that was dying out, queenless)left his apistan strips in after the honey flow started. I'm more interested in letting this colony grow right now.