Question

Last year I got some cordovan bees from CF koehn and son and some from McCary in Miss. called and most everyone is booked up, and ideas where any how good the stock is?

Thanks
    Thesurveyor

[This message has been edited by thesurveyor (edited February 20, 2004).]

After McCary screwed me last year, I got some queens from Drapers. They came from the left coast, either Heitkams, or Strachens.

Bill,

Did you ever get your bees from McCary?

Thesurveyor

Wink

>They came from the left coast,

Which we proudly refer to as 'the land of fruits and nuts'.

Normally I would ask which one are you, a fruit or a nut. Not sure however if that question is politically correct, may offend someone or may cause an uproar. So I guess I should encourage you to be proud of whoever you may be or think you are.

In response to being "left coast", I'm sure it has only to do with reading of the map. West being left and east being right. Thought I'd clear that up before anyone mistakes it for more than it is.

You guys are getting too literal, I'm just looking to get some nice cordovans at a resonable price. The shipping from CF Koehn is the only reason I am not ordering from them.

And yes they are on the left coast.

Thanks
    Doug Suttles

Wink

That does it, calling me a liberal. Boy thats the lowest. Oh, wait...you said literal. Golly gee. Sorry.

Wink

the question was were can I find bees? maybe you should ask if anyone has any to sell and be glad they will sell to you.
    the shortage is so bad this yr my regular custermers are just glad to recieve them on time.
    I have been a commercial breeder for 25 yrs and never seen a shortage like this one.
    I have seen people even ask if they paid more for the bees if it would help get them some.
    just glad to keep my regulars happy yr after yr.
    good beeing=====Don

Fruits and nuts refers to our almonds ,walnuts ,oranges etc.I cant understand how you would make it into something more than that!Better be careful....

I think F/B is right.You will be lucky to find any early queens now.Maybe someone who has been calling around will know if any can still be had.

[This message has been edited by loggermike (edited February 20, 2004).]

Hi there. I just ordered some cordovans from D&J apiary. The have an ad in ABJ. He seemed like a really nice guy to deal with. Hope this helps.

Lightbulb

>Bill,
    Did you ever get your bees from McCary?

Thesurveyor

no

>>They came from the left coast,
    Which we proudly refer to as 'the land of fruits and nuts'.

I had always heard either " The land of milk and honey" or "The land of fruits, nuts, and flakes". I thought it had to do with breakfast cereal.

Bjorn, you seem to be very careful in your choice of words in you new role as a literal.

Last year tought me that you can order bees from anywhere, the question is will they show up? If you are in a real pinch, I do have some cordovans I could send you. I must warn you that they are lazy bees. They won't even get back up and return to the hive. They just kind of lay there, motionless.

Bill,

Unfortunately, I have several hives of those motionless bees, rainy weather last year, cold wet winter and who knows what else have taken their toll on my bee yard.

I had the mites under control or at least I thought I did, check my hives 1st and 2nd week of Jan, everthing looked excellent. Went into the hives a couple of time since, we had two weeks of extremely wet and cold weather, and today all hives are permentally sleeping.

So, I am unsure who I will order from.

Thanks for the input, sorry to hear about the order with McCary.

Thesurveyor

Sad

Sorry to hear about your losses. Last year I resorted to chasing swarms for the city. Did very well with that effort. I requeened them all, some with cerdovan and the rest with NWC.

This is a good alternative to try, it pays instead of costs....

Sounds good, but where I am there are alot of beekeepers that get the swarms that are called in, so competition is a factor.

Thesurveyor