Thread: Early pollen...

Question

Hi all, it is good to see the grass after all this snow.
    Today it's warm and sunny and I was looking at my bees, I was surprised to see some of them coming back with a grey/yellow pollen. I live in N/E New Jersey and I cannot see any flowers or buds around.
    Does someone know where this pollen is coming from?

I honestly don't know for sure by just by color, but there are a lot of trees that make pollen early. Elms and Maples and ***** Willows make pollen quite early. I'm sure there are others types of tree that that could be nearby besides.

Cool

It may be skunk cabbage pollen. It is an early source for bees. Steve

My bees were bringing in lots of pollen the 2nd week of Feb, and it was apparently elm, but the color was a light creamy yellow color, no gray that I could see.

The Elms are in full bloom in mid-eastern Kansas now. My bees are bringing in the pollen by the bucket!
    They are also tearing through the Bee-Pro pollen patties at an amazing rate too!
    Bill

If they have pollen, why do you want to keep giving the substitute?

For the same reason they are eating it.

RAPID BUILD-UP!

More bees = more gatherers = more honey.

Also there are additives in Bee-Pro that the bees need and will further stimulate them into brood production.
    Bill

I guess I figure they are eating it because it has the right flavors and scents. I think pollen make much better bees than pollen substitue so I never feed straight pollen substitute. I mix it half and half with real pollen. I've never tried the Bee Pro.

I believe that bees, given a choice, will take advantage of the most easily consumed food source available first.

Many people think that honey is the prefered food of bees, not so. Honey is an emergency food source for times that their prefered foods are not available.

Nectar and pollen is what the bees have evolved to live from.

Sugar syrup is the most nectar like food source available for us to feed to our bees and is easier for them to digest, that is why they take it so easily when there is no natural nectar for them to gather.

I, opposite to you, have not tried pollen substitute. I have tried protene milk shakes at the gym, and can tell you that I would rather have a good salad...

Seriously, there is something about the Bee Pro patties that the bees really love, it's the closest thing to an addictive drug for them that I've seen. It's been formulated to give them what they need and I will continue to use it right up until the flow starts in earnest, and will use it again for the fall build-up to get them ready for winter.
    Bill

HERE IS A SITE THAT SHOWS WHAT IS PRODUCING POLLEN LOCALLY. http://www.pollen.com/Pollen.com.asp

You can also get a local pollen report on the weather channel web site www.weather.com.

Thank you all.
    I checked on pollen.com and the predominant pollens are Elm and Birch. I didn't know that pollen source can be so early... you learn evrery day!
    Thanks again.