Got to thinking about this yesterday and came up with no ideas.

I have two colonies (sort of) I want to combine. One is a strong colony with two deeps, then an imre shim (providing upper entrance) and then a shallow for honey on the top. The other is a single deep of queenless house bees from my unsucessful attempt at a bee-tree removal.

If I put the single on the strong colony, where should it be in the stack-up, relative to the honey super? We've had very little blooming, so I doubt there is any honey to take now.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Hobie . . .

Put the single deep on top of the double deep w/ newspaper between and put the shallow in the "honey house" [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you have "very little blooming", why have a honey super on the hive?

Have you checked the mite load in the queenless single? Are you going to "double" the mites in your "strong hive"?

Good idea. I will check mites before combining.

The honey super is on there because it was on there when I bought the colony last week. Just newbie ignorance on my part, I guess.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau