It was interesting last night as I was about ready to make some honey candy when my girlfriend made the comment that the honey we buy (from a local beekeeper) was really expensive. I buy a three pound jar for $6. It is wild flower honey.

So, that night, we went to Fred Meyer to get some things and we looked at the processed honey they sell. Everything was much more expensive then the wild flower honey I get locally.

I was also suprised that all of the honey at Fred Meyer was clover honey. I really thought that it would all be wild flower oney as, in my thinking, it would be easier for the beekeepeer to put out hives anywhere to get honey rather then an a clover field but than again, clover is considered a weed and very easy to grow....at least that is what I hear.

Anyway, after the visit to Fred Meyer, I was curious to why it was all clover honey and found out in a book that most Americans find clover honey to be more mild in taste versus wild flower honey which tends to have more of a stronger, bolder taste.

I find this to be very interesting!
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

WOW 6 bucks is cheap for for good local honey!

After the stuff called honey in the store is processed they could put any label on it and call it what they want
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

>After the stuff called honey in the store is processed they could put any label on it and call it what they want.

I'm with you. It barely resembles honey anymore.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I'll agree Michael 100%,I sell my honey wholesale for $6.00,But some of it around here is going for 10.00,retail,And for local honey don't have a bit of problem selling it.
    Here in the dead of winter I still have people calling wanting honey.I just need more bee's

I just checked Wal-mart's prices, $7.62 for three pounds. That was the cheapest per ounce, they went up from there.

I read an article somewhere that said the big processors for retail store honey only buy honey that is in a certain color range. Then its all mixed together and marketed as clover honey because of the mixing.

This what I like to do when Im sell at a booth in a farmers market/etc.

Go to one of the local burger shops and get a few of the small cups they use for catsup. These are round and will hold a teaspoon or two. I fill one cup with clover(walmart bland) and one container with my wildflower? honey, then set out a box of toothpicks and have everyone sample both flavors starting with the walmart brand first. The flavor of the wildflower really outshines the clover and most people prefer the wildflower.
    ------------------------------------------<br />Colton<br />------------------------------------------

so I have a question.... does real clover honey that is not processed still have a miler taste than wild flower honey?
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

&lt;&lt;walmart bland&gt;&gt;

Good one!

To me clover honey has little flavor. That is why I do a taste test - to show people. I was very suprised to find out how many people have never had anything but clover honey.
    ------------------------------------------<br />Colton<br />------------------------------------------

Real, fresh, just extracted, not heated, not blended clover honey is heavenly. The stuff in the stores is a different thing altogether.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

That is the way I see it MB. Home spun and bottle clover honey is great and is not strong flavored(still not weak tasteless stuff like the store has). I prefer a milder honey for my breakast. I love the strong honeys like golden rod for my tea. Honeys are like wine each has its own flavor and is better with certain things.