Thread: Getting wired

What is the best way to pull the wires tight when wiring frames. I have looked at the link showing wiring, but it doesn't show pulling the wires tight. I have built a form board and a holder for my wire spool. The holder for my wire has a guide that I can control the tension on so I can lock it and pull against it while wireing. Any suggestions?

I will preface this with the statement that I am no expert on wiring. I have done a little from time to time but by using DuraComb and plastic foundation or using shallow or mediums without wire, or buying foundation that is already wired, I have mostly avoided it.

The methods that I have used or seen done are to wrap it around a nail on the end bar and just pull to tighten or if it is already wrapped on the nail and you want to tighten more, to crimp it with a wire crimper (Brushy Mt Cat #658) or use a pair of needle nose pliers to make a crimp. To use the pliers, just grasp the wire and twist to make a "Z" shaped bend in the wire.

Perhaps someone with a LOT of experience has better advice.

The factory made boards have a way of compressing the side rails inward so that when you release it, pull the wires as tight as you can and then release the tension devise, it tightens the wires. I use a 12 V battery charger to embed the wires. Dale

I have seen a few homemade boards that squeeze the side bars slightly so the wire tensions when the sides are released, I just haven't gotten a chance to make one yet. I am going to order a wire crimper to help tighten them and have been using a needle nose pliers. I then use a low amperage 12v battery charger to heat the wires and embed them. As far as plastic foundation goes the bees don't seem to like it much and scrape the wax off of it. After they clean the wax off they will not build comb in those spots. I have frames with spots of comb and the rest bare.
    I have tried pins and other methods for wax foundation and I think that wired wax is best and everything else is second, but that's my opinion.

I use homemade wiring boards that use a wooden lever to push in the one end bar(the other one is tight up against a small wooden block.I can wire 5 deeps an hour with this set up.The wire is threaded through the eyelets (4 on one side ,2 on the other ) around rollers made of wooden dowels(empty thread spools work very well).This is really a job for teenagers who need spending money(give them a radio tuned into a rock and roll station)and pay so much per frame.I wish I could just show you,its simple to do but hard to explain.

Hi,

I find using a wire crimper is the only way to go. It has the advantage that it can also re-tighten wires too.

Clay

i've been using 40 pound test line(for fishing),works great,doesn't rust and you don't get poked by wire when handling frames.

The only disadvatage I see to the fishing line is that you can't just crimp to tighten it. It sounds like a good idea to me.