Question

The honey flow is off for the rest of the year and I am trying to encourage the bees to draw out some foundation I just added in preparation for winter, but mainly for next year's flows. I am feeding a 1:1 ratio right now and they are eagerly taking it up, although still slow in building comb. Should I be feeding a heavier 2:1 so they can store it easier/have more sugar for the volume? My worry is that this simulated nectar flow will cause them to raise more brood that will starve when I stop fedding them. Right now my only goal is to draw comb out.

What are the guidlines for the different strengths of syrup? Are there different srengths besides 1:1 and 2:1 that I should be using?

------------------
    I have 2 hives that are located on a 400 acre pine tree farm with sparse houses surronding. This is my first year keeping.

2:1 (sugar to water) is for stores. Anytime you're trying to build up stores this is what you want.

1:1 (sugar to water) is for stimulation. Anytime you want to stimulate brood rearing and convince the bees that there is a nectar flow. This is only necessary when they are NOT raising brood yet in the spring in order to stimulate them to. It is not necessary in the middle of summer.

1:2 (sugar to water) I use for a spray bottle for spraying bees to calm them if the smoker goes out or I think it would be helpful.

Personally I wouldn't feed them unless there is no nectar flow. Gathering nectar and making honey is what bees do. I'd let them.

I am not sure I understand why anyone in South Carolina would be making preparations for winter when summer hasn't even really begun yet ?? No, actually I AM sure that I don't understand !! lololol

Could someone help me out there ??

Surely they have a fall flow too.

------------------
    It's Not The Destination, It's The Journey. We Cannot Change The Wind, But We CAN Trim The Sails.

[This message has been edited by Sharkey (edited June 13, 2004).]

I wouldn't worry about the brood. I fed last year until Aug and they had 2 supers over 1 deep brood box full of honey. (remember how it rained last year?) My Carnies only used 1 of those supers all winter. Apparently they didn't have too many bees! Besides, you need some new bees in the fall to transit the winter.
    I think the "honey flow over" time must be somewhat local. They tell me in Ct that it all stops on July 4th. I got a pretty good flow of goldenrod last year. (A fall flower.)

Dickm

Thanks for the replys. In South Carolina the flows start as early as Janurary, hit peak in April, and people pull supers in June. From what I am told, the fall flow is hit and miss. Since I got my 3 pound packages in April, I missed alot of it this year. I just want to be ready for next year.