One hive has a inner cover made of something like pressed sawdust?
    Why are the bees mining this stuff and for what do they use it? They even took the paint off, about the size of a dinner plate!
    Somehow I liked this cover, for adding moisture escape, but I will be using plywood now.
    Konrad
    Grow shrubs & trees,...it's good for bees!

They harvest sawdust. Haven't figured out why yet. I've seen them at the Wood Shop end. Never seen it in the hive yet. Don't know what they do with it. But they pick it up just like pollen. Anyone explain this??

Hawk
    KC0YXI

They do seem to enjoy chewing on things. I put some small sheets of of that stuff over the trap screens on my bottom mounted pollen traps once to help keep some of the hive debris out of the pollen. With the bees chewing on it there was a lot of wooden fuzz and sawdust in the pollen. I took those off and used a sheet of quarter inch plywood instead.

I have noticed them mixing sawdust with propolis to seal up cracks in the hive - maybe it takes less propolis to do the job?

i thought only queens have teeth?

don't mind me i just woke up [img]smile.gif[/img]
    \"You\'ve got to stop beating up your women because you can\'t find a job, because you didn\'t want to get an education and now you\'re (earning) minimum wage.\"<br /><br />-Bill Cosby

Thank you all!

I haven't really looked inside the hive to see what they do with it but have noticed they took it outside on the bottom board and put it around the rock I have placed, [to narrow the bee entrance] a little...

To my suspicion, they placed it there, to block some of the Ants slipping thru under the rock?
    Pretty industrious critters!
    Konrad
    Grow shrubs & trees,...it's good for bees!

I think its has alot to do with cleaning, removed a hive from the second story floor system of a home and the bee's had removed about 1/4 inch thinkness of the 5/8 inch sheet-rock and been dumping it outside and it was pilling up on the ground. another 2 more months and the bee's could watch this family eating at thier dinner table on the first floor.
    Ted

Bees can chew up some things (even though they don't have teeth) but not other things. They can manage soft things like styrofoam or newspaper. They can't chew up actual pine or plywood. Various things made of sawdust and glue they can manage if it's been weakened by getting wet etc.

Why? Because it's there.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF