Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

WEED KILLER

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  dragonfly 
#1 ·
Can we use weed killer to kill the grass around the hives so as not to disturb them with lawn mowers.....
Rich

------------------

#2 ·
Well I do...I apply RoundUp weed spray just on dark.It is toxic to bees until it is taken up by the plant.Doing this reduces the chance of contamination and dead bees.The spray has been absorbed by the plant over night and as a result there are almost zero fatalities.

Works for me.

#3 ·
You can, but another nontoxic possibility is to throw a sheet of plywood or even some old cardboard with a brick on it in front of the hive to kill the weeds. The cardboard won't last as long as the scrap of plywood, but it's usually free and you're going to throw it away anyway.

#7 ·
>I use old carpet cut's.turn it upside down( It's brown on that side.)It's free & you can find it most anywhere.It also last a long time.

I've used the carpet. It helps a lot but some grass always grows through it. It's hard to beat free.

>I started using roundup last spring and sure am glad i did saves alot of time used to cut with lawnmower and weed wacker now i spray roundup once a month

If you want to spray for weeds, there are longer lasting versions of roundup type products that will last for a year instead of requiring spraying once a month. I've seen them in all of the hardward/department store lawn sections.

Just read the labels carefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.