Question

I am getting my package bees in april and am going to be putting them on the 4.9 mm foundation. I was wondering, does the 2nd deep that you put on top need to be 4.9 mm also, or can it be the larger size?

Thanks,
    Oscar

Personally I would use nothing but 4.9mm everywhere. But the 2nd brood chamber should definitely be 4.9mm. If you insist on cheating on size, do it above the queen excluder. But if you use the same everywhere isn't it simpler? And it keeps them in the habit of drawing small cells.

Ok, that is what I needed to know. I have two packages coming to me, and enough 4.9 cells to do two deep supers. I will do one package with 4.9 and the other with the bigger size I already have, then shake down the bigger size next spring. I am going to also be trying to extract bees from the side of a house, so will use the bigger cells for those bees.

Oscar

If I was starting two packages and had enough foundation for two deeps, I'd put in in two deeps and put each package in one of those deeps and order some more 4.9mm. It's MUCH easier to do it off the bat. They probably won't outgrow one deep for a month or so. Plenty of time to get some more foundation.

And if you can't afford the foundation, make starter strips and use that, but don't start down the big cell road when you're planning to go to small cell.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited March 21, 2003).]

Also if you're getting them out of a house, use 4.9mm or 4.9mm starter strips because they may already be regressed and you'll be artifically enlarging them only to regress them again.

To tell the truth I'm quite fond of starter strips. I'd use a plain unembossed starter strip before I'd use enlarged cell foundation. I like 4.9mm starter strips. The bees build nice comb in a size that is natural to them with clean wax. You can make 10 or more starter strips from one sheet of 4.9mm foundation.

If you're too cheap to buy more 4.9mm foundation, then do the starter strips. I will save you and the bees a lot of work regressing later.

If you want to spend the money, buy all 4.9mm foundation. It's not that expensive.

If you've decided on the small cell regression route, stay with it. Giving them large cell foundation when you want to regress them is like going south when you really wanted to end up north. It's the wrong direction.

Regressing is one of those things you need to either do or not do. If you're going to do it, then don't compromise.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited March 21, 2003).]

Thanks for the information. That is what I will do then. I don't think the 4.9 is all that bad priced...I was more worried about the time frame.