hooisyurbee Guest

All the books I read recommend medicating for over-wintering. Is this just precaution on their part or does everyone medicate there bees before winter?

I Medicate all of my hives for verroa mites & T.mites after I pull the last supers off,But the bees are starting to show a resistance towards the mite's.I think nature is taking it's course & the bees has learned to take care of the problem more & more.after this year I'm going to test to see if I'll need to medicate any.Although I don't seem to have a problem with the verroa's, It's the T mites that I'm concerned about.I guess we all are afraid of what we can't see.such as with the Tracheal mites,Too many people IMO,has focused on the verroa mites & forgot about the T-mites.Then they blame a lost hive on pesticide- low food supply- or a 100 other cause's.When in reality it's the T-mites in the long run. or the disappearing disease as it was once called.As I said this is just MO.>>>>Mark

jfischer Guest

I think that the primary point to take away
    is that people are advised to medicate when
    honey supers of off, which means spring or
    fall. "Fall" (really late summer) is warmer
    than spring will be, so things like menthol
    and mite strips are more effective in fall.

>Is this just precaution on their part or does everyone medicate there bees before winter?

Certainly not everyone. Except for a couple of years using Terramycin when I started (I was scared into it by the horror stories of AFB in the books) and three years of Apistan, before I found any alternatives, I have never medicated my bees in 30 years.

Here's a group of people who never medicate their bees at all:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Organicbeekeepers