Thread: Extra Bee Candy

Hi,

I made a batch of bee candy this winter just in case I needed it. Doesn't seem like I do since I inspected the hive and found bees alives with lots of stores. Can I still give them the candy? Ashame to waste it..

Thanks!!

Sure. I don't know how you usually adminster it. Around here they tend to make a "candy lid" If that's what you have you could put it on a box on a bottom board away from the hives and let them all work it. Or if it's in some other format you could put it in a box with a lid to keep the rain off and let the have it or you could put it in the hives. But it will keep. Put it in gallon plastic bags and freeze it? Or just leave it in the bags somewhere the mice won't get into it?

OK i am really a new-bee haven't even gotten
    bees yet found some on a tree limb this past fall invested in a starter kit. hive them they stayed a week and split. so order some and am waiting for April.so do tell what is bee candy??

Personally, I've never made any, but there are a variety of recipes that are mostly sugar and water boiled to make a nougant kind of candy to feed the bees in the winter. The advantage is they can eat it when the are at the top of the box or on warm days and it's not frozen or liquid. It's popular around these parts.

Patty this far south most do not use candy. If the outside temp is above 20 you can place jars of syrup over the inner cover. I have not tried feeding at that low of a temp but was told the internal temp of the hive would keep it from freezing.

JC

how is the best way to store sugar water i made about 5 gal in gallon jars do i store it in fridge ?

Ray

>how is the best way to store sugar water i made about 5 gal in gallon jars do i store it in fridge ?

1:1 or 2:1? Does it have any essential oils in it like Honey Bee Healthy or Wintergreen? If it has essential oils it seem to keep forever. Otherwise it molds. I'd feed it to the bees as soon as you can. They will evaporate it and it will keep then.

The fridge will slow down the mold some. Cooler is better than warmer.

Some people add some vinegar or lemon juice for the acid to kill the mold. I haven't tried that.

Greetings . . .

CANDY RECIPES, see: http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/spring.htm http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/bkCD/HBBio...upplements.htm

FEEDING CANDY:
    Pour hot mixture directly into spare inner cover,(center hole should be kept open) rim feeder, or candy board. Candy will adhere to cover as its hardens, then place on hive, rim down.

------------------
    Dave W . . .

A NewBEE with 1 hive.
    First package installed
    April, 2003.