Sad

I got my first ever package of beautiful bees on Wednesday. It was only about 50F, but the native veteran beekeeper I ordered them from told me to install them...not to wait. I installed them with a front feeder and on Wednesday they emptied about half of it.
    Now we are having this horrible murderous coldsnap...temps staying in the lower 40's and upper 30's. They have taken almost none of the syrup since Wed., I am **** near in tears over this. I can't believe this stupid weather. It is not expected to get above 50 again until Tuesday! Sunday they're calling for 39 and snow.
    Please tell me I'm freaking out about nothing...I'm scared to death they will all die in cluster before Tuesday.
    What can I do? Should I do something? Can I seal them in there somehow and bring them into the basement? Or possibly just move them closer to the house? I'm scared to do ANYTHING, because I know I'm not supposed to bother them the first week?!? Please HELP!

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Since this is your first package, I assume that you placed them on undrawn foundation and the only food supply is the front feeder.
    If you have a second empty brood box, place it on top of the current brood box. Make up a couple of quart mason jars with small holes in the top. Place these on the frame's top bars as close to the cluster of bees as possible. You can gently move them by placing the jar on the top bars and sliding it. Make sure the syrup is warm, but not hot.
    They will be fine as long as they can get food and cluster around the queen.

You can try to get a feeder on top, as mentioned, but personally I'd just leave them alone. The cold snap won't last and you can't change it.

>Please tell me I'm freaking out about nothing...

Your freaking out about nothing. They will be fine, now, now, don't worry, nature takes care of these things. Really.

They will be just fine and are more resiliant than you think. A year ago this weekend we had a similar cold snap (high of 31) and I was installing queens in new splits (the splits were made on a prior warm day). They did just fine.

If you can though, take a mason jar, (or large gallon pickel jar) and poke a few holes in the top. Fill with sugar water and place it on the inner cover so the bees can get to the holes though the slot in the middle of the cover. You can put an empty deep over the jar and the outer cover back on.

In the future I'd look into just using top feeding or one of those inside feaders. The entrance feeders ought to be outlawed.

Are you talking about outlawing the feeders, or the people who install packages in MARCH. I'm thinking maybe the person giving advise to this new person, and the guidance of installing packages this early in the north, should be outlawed. Geesh, what was the rush?

They should just have a disclaimer or a warning on Boardman feeders:

"Warning, this feeder is worthless if the temperature drops below fifty, it will also cause robbing of weak colonies."

Where'd you get your package from? Just curious. I'm over in Dayton and also need some packages on late notice....

Waldo Apiaries...Waldo, Ohio near Marion on 23.

I have delt with George in Waldo.But i got the bees he shook from his hives around the 1st of may.I had good luck with the bees i got from him.
    It seems there are alot of people that have bees in early april here in Ohio.But then there is a big differance between north and south here.I was told most of the beekeepers south of them get them early and the later dates were for the northen beekeepers.
    I am not sure where Cardington is but i am i the nothwest corner of Ohio.As for feaking out no need the deal is done.I would try the top feeder it works much better.As for the next time i would wait a few more weeks. I have done great starting 3# packages the last week of April and the first week of May.
    Oh and the 3# packages were form Waldo.
    Lets all hope the cold snap is the last
    Bob

Buckeye Bees still had a few packages left this morning .Ken was planning to mail them tomorrow (tuesday). I had 4 arrive last week and was pleased with them so I called to see if he had more and he actually did. so I got some more coming out this week.

I submit that there are too many words in

>> Warning, this feeder is worthless if the temperature drops below fifty, it will also cause robbing of weak colonies."

The first five are enough.

I wish that the supply houses would stop including them in the beginner kits.

>> Warning, this feeder is worthless if the temperature drops below fifty, it will also cause robbing of weak colonies."

>The first five are enough.

>I wish that the supply houses would stop including them in the beginner kits.

How about "Warning this feeder is worse than worthless.

Thanks, I was already considering trying packages from Waldo and you tipped the balance. I'm picking up three packages in Waldo next week.

Mike

Hey you Buckeyes, any of you ever use GeeZeeBeeZee in Clyde? I am supposed to get my packages from him on Friday, he goes down to Georgia I think and picks them up down there. I thought they were Ohio bees when I ordered them but found out later they come from the south so i am a little worried about beetles coming up with them.

It has been cold up here near meecheegan but today was better, we planted 15o Black locusts today.

Hey David let me know how the bees from Clyde are doing for you.I am thinking of getting some queens from there.it is a bit shorter drive for me.If you want Ohio bees George in Waldo shakes his own about May 1st.
    Mike watch George on my first trip he showed me how he shakes bees.He was testing me a bit lol.No bee suit I stood there with bees everywhere helping put on the covers on the packages.I think i passed ok lol.Tho still needed clean shorts after.

Mitch
    OK, will let you know, so far very happy, got them on Friday, was reassured about the mites and beetles. He has quite a lot of stuff, some very nice hives he gets in from Maine unassembled, showed me around. Lots of folks stopped by while I was there to pick up their queens or packages, he had a whole semi load in from Georgia. He also sells the vinegar foggers, he is looking to find someone near me to do fogging for me.
    David