My question is.....If you can requeen a queenless hive, is it possible to split the queenless hive and into 2 nucs and requeen them both and expand this way. What problems can you have??

I have done this but I have needed to add a frame of capped brood to each so that there were enough bees to allow both nucs to survive
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

btt

I'd definately be feeding them when you requeen. But other than than that, it should work fine. Adding the frame of brood is a good idea, if you have it available. If the origianl hive has been queenless for awhile, it's not likely to have enough 'nurse-aged' bees to help care for the new queen's eggs (unless you can add that frame of brood). The "extra" nurse bees would help.

My hive went queenless after having an excellent queen that was laying well up into late Novemeber. They reverted to a laying worker state. My friend found a queen just scratching out of a swarm cell and brought her to me. He shook all the bees off the brood frames, put the virgin queen's cage in and 3 days later, I released her. She's been in there for a week now and she is still alive and there should be enough workers to keep her going. I don't know if she's mated yet, so I will give her another week or so and check for brood and eggs in the deep. Friday, I put an excluder above the deep and shook and brushed every bee from the top super about 40 feet away. I had a bunch of drones and I wanted to be sure I had no more laying workers in the honey super. Today, I checked the top super again and found some more drones(obviously emerged since Friday) and some more eggs. I'll check again in 3-4 days and see if there are any new eggs, in which case, I'll shake the bees off again and hope the new queen below has started laying and will emit enough queen substance to dominate the hive.

I have never found that shaking them off gets rid of the laying worker. But when the real queen starts laying the laying worker almost always quits.