Question

I hived a swarm today from a swarm box and I know its getting late but is it to late? I was planning on robbing a frame or two from some of my other hives once the queen is laying good. There is a queen because of eggs in burr comb on the lid. Any advice from old timers?
    Henry

In Kentucky, I think you should be fine. And, you could always check them in Septenber and add a frame if the hive looked weak.

I don't know in your area, but we get fall goldenrod that helps the bees lay in good winter feed. For us, because of the Fall honey flow, a swarm in July is perfectly good.

Robbing a frame of brood or feed? No it's not too late for KY. Michigan may have problems. You are feeding? Are they on foundations or comb? You're not expecting honey from that swarm this year. Your goal is a queenright hive come next Feb/Mar. You can do it. It'll cost you some sugar water.

Good Luck,

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Feed them steadily and they should be OK.
    RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

I have some left over honey I am feeding but was planning on 1 to 1 sugar water. I was just going to rob frames of drawn combs. I have used up my extra on splits.
    Henry

I'll take a swarm in July any day. Obviously I like them best in April. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF