mmundy Guest

The long awaited weekend has arrived. Too bad for the dumb drought, otherwise I would have a lot more work to do. I bought nine new supers this year and three new hives, and though the bees survived, all my new supers are empty. They just didn't make any new wax once I stopped feeding. All they filled was last year's comb.

1. So I want to know, when I finish extracting the full supers, should I put them all back on the original hive so the bees can clean them, or can I distribute them to the other three and see if those bees could benefit from the honey scraps?

2. Also, what happens to all the bees that are displaced when I take away 2/3 of their living space? They cling to the box for a while... then what? Do they just die? Is there a better way to use their services?

Gratzee,

>1. So I want to know, when I finish extracting the full supers, should I put them all back on the original hive so the bees can clean them, or can I distribute them to the other three and see if those bees could benefit from the honey scraps?

I distribute them to all the hives evenly and put the wet supers on top of the inner cover. That way they rob it out and take it down below instead of treating it like part of the hive.

>2. Also, what happens to all the bees that are displaced when I take away 2/3 of their living space? They cling to the box for a while... then what? Do they just die? Is there a better way to use their services?

They will cling to the outside at night and they will work during the day. If it gets too crowded sometimes they swarm in August and Septemeber. I would put an empty super or two back on until they all fit at night. Besides, who says they won't make more honey? Nectar flow is sporadic and if they get a run of nectar they need somewhere to put it.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited August 22, 2003).]

mmundy Guest

This is exactly what I wanted to hear!
    THANX