I will be starting a Nuc box. What is the best way to do it? Should I order a pound of bees this spring or just take a frame or two of brood from another hive? I really don't want to weaken another hive coming out of winter. What's the best way?

If you have the money and you don't want to weaken one of your hives, a pound or two or even three of bees will do well in a nuc.

It's a lot cheaper to take a couple of frames of brood with a few fresh eggs and a couple of frames of honey and pollen and a couple more frames of bees shaken off some brood (without the queen) to start a nuc in May or later when there are drones flying to mate with the new queen.

You can also order a new queen (plus a new one for your existing hive) and start your NUC once the mother colony is strong enough to spare enough nurse bees to take care of the NUC queen's eggs and brood. You'll have to feed heavily and giving them drawn foundation is a big plus.

Unless your existing hive's queen is new from last fall a new queen will help them build up faster as well.

A queen will give them a month head start. Three weeks to raise one and a week before she starts laying well.

But a nuc is also a great way to get a new queen. A couple of frames of brood and a frame of honey and pollen isn't going to weaken a good hive much.

Smile

Don't know the first thing about it...just wanted to say hi and love you athiker!

If you don't mind waiting for a swarm I would go this route. You should have no problem finding one this season.