THis is my first year beekeeping and I have purchased some old honey supers not used for a few years. They have a lot of dust, cob webs etc especially around the top of the cells. I understand that bees will "clean up" old drawn comb before using it, can anyone let me know if they will clean out dust and cobwebs sticking to old honey from these frames ? or what I can expect ? I don't want to have the dust etc in with the honey.

THanks for all help for the new bee.

Bryan

To add to Bryan's post,

I too am curious about last year's stored comb that has mold growing on it?? Would it be ok to put this is the hive for the bees to clean up, or should it be culled and replaced with new foundation?

Thank you,
    elvin

Put it on a strong hive and before 2 days have passed thousands of willing hands will be scrubbing, polishing, preparing. The bees are much better at this than you will ever dream of being. They also will clean up the mold as long as your hive is reasonably moisture free.

>>I don't want to have the dust etc in with the honey.

Bees only store in prepared cells. They will clean them out and pollish with propolis before use.

Ian

Thank You both for the information. I thought all was lost from last years comb.

cheers,
    elvin.

As far as actual dust or mildew, yes they'll clean it up. As far as "cobwebs" and "dirt" that sounds suspiciouly like wax moths. That the bees will not clean up very well. I would scrap it if it's full of wax moth webs and feces.