Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

PermaComb- Fully drawn plastic comb. If you use a hot (less than 220 but more than the melting point of wax) pressure washer it will blow all the cocoons out of the PermaComb. DON'T TRY THIS ON REGULAR COMB!

>PermaComb- Fully drawn plastic comb. If you use a hot (less than 220 but more than the melting point of wax) pressure washer it will blow all the cocoons out of the PermaComb. DON'T TRY THIS ON REGULAR COMB!

Wow! So, do you *actually* go to a car wash or is this simply a common term? I take it you like the PermaComb?

Cheers,
    Doug

Comb that is impervious to wax moths and SHB and the bees don't have to draw it. Yes, it's nice. Also, I wax dip mine to get small cells for one step regression back to natural sized bees.

And yes, he was refering to an actual car wash.

Today, I was salvaging some burr comb that was filled with yellow orange pollen. The pollen in the cells definitely had a funky smell. The hive have smelled like that for more than a week, ever since the goldenrod started blooming. So I'm wondering if it is really the goldenrod honey curing that smells like that or rather the goldenrod pollen processing. Probably both?

This for the record. At the EAS meeting I had a frame of foulbrood 2 inches from my nose and couldn't smell it while people 4 feet away were holding their nose. A few others couldn't smell it either. I once met a person who could not smell skunk. It's a genetic thing I guess.

Dickm,
    If that was this years EAS in Pennsylvania, that was my AFB. Or should I say, I sent in the frames. That was from a hive that had it throughout 5 boxes. The beekeeper never knew he has a problem.

At a beekeeping short course at SFU in Burnaby (Vancouver) a few years ago, we were shown frames with various diseases/pests. I couldn't smell AFB either. The person overseeing the lab told me some people don't smell it.