Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

would anyone advice what is the smell around the hive it litte smell like honey but the rest is smell bad. any idea, thanks

Assuming you have inspected the hive for AFB and other deseases, and eliminated inside hive smells, than two things come to mind.

One would be goldenrod/Aster honey. As they lower the moisture content inside the hive, it can put off a rather odd smell.

The other I have found when I use rubber matting or other water collecting material around the apiary. Dead bees will sometimes collect in a small puddle of water, and they can get quite rank smelling as the number of dead bees increase.

Cool

Mine smell like goldenrod right now. That is most likely what it is.

Mine smell like goldenrod too. Not rotten smelling, but funky, kind of like old tennis shoes or smelly socks.

Smile

I was guessing Goldenrod, myself. Boy, it carries a ways, too! Still, I kinda like the smell...

Doug

When they are putting away buckwheat (which is happening now) the smell is really bad.

dtwilliamson Guest

My bees are working the goldenrod like crazy. I could smell my hives from 40 yards away yesterday. Smells like plenty of food for the winter to me.....

I am taking care of 11 hives for fellow forum member dickm while he's hunting in Colorado for a month. I came across a couple of his hives that had this horrible sweet smell to it. It must be the goldenrod everyone is talking about. My hive smells nothing like it. His hives are parked in front of 3 acres of pumpkins and squash, you should see the pollen coming in!

------------------
    "To bee or not to bee, that is the question"

I believe Dick has had AFB before. It's probably Goldenrod if it's a sickly sweet smell with a bit of funk to it. But if it's a rotten, dead smell, I would investigate further.

I thought something had died near my hives, is this the smell we are talking about or should I be looking for something else

------------------
    Procrastination is the assination of inspiration.

Gary

Mike,
    you posted one minute before my, mine smell like a dead mouse I had one in my wall last year when I remodeled the bathroom trapped him in there, I had to rip it all down and do it again. I will inspect tommorrow, what should I do if I find AFB......torch it. I am searching the site now.

------------------

Gary

I would inspect. But don't jump the gun until you've actually found AFB. I had a hive that reeked. It turned out to be a pile of rotting dead bees from a pesticide kill in the bottom of the hive.

I have not smelled AFB, but the people who have described it to me say it smells like rotting meat. I think a rotting mouse smells more like old tennis shoes which, just happens to be what I think Goldenrod smells like as well. I don't think a chunk of rotting meat smells like a rotting mouse. But that's just me.

AFB kills larvae in the capped cells. It does not kill the adult bees, it does not kill open brood. If you find it, you'll have to decide what to do. I've never had to decide, since I've never had any, but If I found a small patch of it I'd probably just torch the infected frames and try to get a different queen. Requeening would give you a brood rearing break and hopefully get a queen with more resistance. If I found a devastated brood chamber (black scale and/or pierced capped cells with dead brood on most frames) then I'd probably shake out the bees and burn the hive.

Some of it depends on the law where you are. Here, if I find it I have some options to take care of it. But if an inspector finds it they will burn the hives. Some states you just have to burn. I'm pretty sure (from what Axtman has said) in Germany you'd have to burn the whole hive. I'm sure he could tell you for sure.

Thanks again Mike maybe I can get some sleep after all.

------------------

Gary

Come to think about, It was probably just one hive (he has a bunch together). If it was goldenrod, wouldn't all the hives "bee" collecting it? Im going to open it up saturday. I am not looking forward to it either, his bees are a bit meaner than mine, or they smell my bees on my tools and beesuit. I pulled out the entrance reducer to vaporize, and they BOILED out of the hive at me before I even started.

------------------
    "To bee or not to bee, that is the question"

[This message has been edited by newbee 101 (edited September 07, 2004).]

>Come to think about, It was probably just one hive (he has a bunch together). If it was goldenrod, wouldn't all the hives "bee" collecting it?

Not necessarily if there are other things around. Usually one hive is pretty loayal to one source, but there may be other sources being worked by other hives.

>Im going to open it up saturday. I am not looking forward to it either, his bees are a bit meaner than mine, or they smell my bees on my tools and beesuit. I pulled out the entrance reducer to vaporize, and they BOILED out of the hive at me before I even started.

Could be they killed a mouse in there and they are still mad about it.

rocky ridge bees Guest

my girls are hitting the goldenrod and kutzo.got 2 hives still pouring suger water to.started real late, hope they can get enough wax built before winter

Its not AFB got an old timer and checked it out, Its golden rod the smell got more distinct after opening it up. What a relief never thought the smell of old socks would make me so happy. I need a beer.

------------------

Gary

Mike - If you had AFB in you Permacomb, would you burn it or take it to the car wash?

>Mike - If you had AFB in you Permacomb, would you burn it or take it to the car wash?

That would be a tough choice. The Studies I've seen seem to indicate that it will get in the cocoons, but even if the spores are in the wax it doesn't seem to hurt. Since mine are wax coated I could probably boil the cocons and the old wax off. But I suppose some of it depends on how many are infected, how big an undertaking I think it would be. You end up contaminating any pot you boil it in. I don't know if the carwash would get the cocoons out of mine since they have a very solid wax coating. Yours just have cocoons inside of plastic. The cocoons would probably wash right out.

>I don't know if the carwash would get the cocoons out of mine since they have a very solid wax coating. Yours just have cocoons inside of plastic. The cocoons would probably wash right out.

*Car wash*????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast