Well, it went ok. Got my two packages hived this evening. Of course, I'd do things differenly next time.

One of the straps broke in half on a queen cages, so I didn't get it hung down as far between the frames as I would like. I'm going to go in Sunday evening, if it isn't raining, and release her to get the frames pushed together. As it is, it is the top of the box is keeping two frames about an inch apart.

As Michael says, you don't have to worry about being too gentle with the bees, whack the box to get them down in the package and then pour them out. I didn't do very well on the first one. As of sunset, the last of the bees still weren't coming out of the cages, so I whack and dumped them in front of the hives. I do hope they all went in.

Couldn't get my smoker to lit, so I'll play with it these next few days for practice.

Didn't get stung, did get them in the hives, got the feeders on them (but I'll top them off tomorrow when it warms up a bit). The packages were put together today, which I think is nice.

One dog is off being bred and the other wants to investigate. We'll she how she does tomorrow with the bees. Russells do not like to take 'no' as an answer to their investigations. They are smart though, so I sting or two and they will learn. The kennel goes up later on this spring.

Pugs

Sounds about right to me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Pugs,
    Congratulations! Hope you have a great year with them. I have a whole bunch of smoker fuel I bought from Dadant if you want to try some. It lights really easily.

APK
    Andrew<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.cgi</a>

Thanks APK! I think I'll take you up on the offer.

Well, not all of them girls made it into the hives last night. There is a cluster in front of each hive, and a small one in one of the packages. The sun finally reached them at 7:45 and they are flying and looking around. I think the 'outsiders' will move in today.

I'm going to do an open feeder today and see how it goes.

Pugs

Are you going to the meeting Monday? If so i'll bring you some. I got five pounds and I havn't even used up half a pound in one year! It's great stuff.

APK
    Andrew<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.cgi</a>

Sounds like all went basically well! I hived 10 on the weekened and had a few things not go as planned! On the smoker note ,I carry a propane torch with the ignighter attached! It's the best $20.00 i have ever spent! If the smoker goes out I have it lit in 15 seconds!! Just a thought!

I bought one of those self igniting torches recently. I agree. You can light a smoker, with gloves on in a matter of seconds. [img]smile.gif[/img] no fumbling with matches or child proof lighters. That's one serious lighter.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

APK, Yes, I'll be at the meeting Monday night.

Michael, I put a a dishpan of sugar water for open feeding; it's been over two hours and they haven't found it yet. Should I be worried?

The bees are really flying around the hives. I think they are taking orientation flights. I'm setting up a barrel water garden near them. I'll top off the inside feeders this afternoon.

Pugs

There's no smell in the suryp and probably plenty of nectar. I wouldn't be worried. Do you have some kind of floats or something to keep them from drowning?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael, thanks for the reminder! I did remember the floats and 'ladders' so they can get out. I've only seen one bee at the dishpan though. It is about 20 feet away, but not in a direct line to the hive fronts.

I have rapid feeders on both hives. I poured in what was left in the cans from the packages when I hived them up last evening. I'd guess about a pint in each. Since they weren't going to the dishpan, I opened the hives to check on the feeders. They both still had some syrup, but I topped them off. They bees had the cone packed getting to the syrup.

Another question: I have the hives set up 'warm' should I put some reducers in? They are in one medium ('Westerns' for the folks out here on the west coast) box each right now. I only know of one hive within a couple miles of me, so I don't think robbing will be a problem.

Thanks for all of the help folks! I may not sound too excited (I'm not giggling) but I am having fun.

Pugs

As long as there isn't a robbing problem it probably doesn't matter, but if the hive is where I see it every couple of days I tend to keep them reduced until I start seeing traffic problems. If the hive is not going to get looked at for a long time I would just leave it open. But it usually doesn't matter.

Mike,

They are in my backyard, which, I'm sure, isn't anywhere near as big as your yard. I'll reduce the entrances today.

One of them has a top entrance too. It was built into the ventilation box I bought from tarheit. Of course, it is on the side as it was made for the cold setup.

My dog is interested in the hives, but all of those buzzing flying bugs just confuses her so when she gets too near them she freezes a second and then moves away.

Pugs

My dog never learns. He likes to eat wasps, bees hornets, ect. Even when he gets stung (which is everytime) he still doesn't stop. Sounds like your dog has a good "bee" sense.

APK

I'm about to install 2 packages - I have some old but funky frames of drawn comb, as well as frames with old capped honey - are these better to use than new, undrawn frames? Would the capped honey be a good substitute for feeding?
    V Schrager

As long as you know the bees didn't die from Foulbrood, I'd use the drawn combs. THey will clean them up quite nicely. I like capped honey for a package. It won't set off robbing like feeding sometimes dose. But they may use it up quickly rasing brood, so you still may need to feed them after it's gone or before it's gone, to be safe.

Pugs:

When is the next meeting? I would like to come down and be part of it... either this meeting or maybe next.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Chef,

The meeeting is tonight at Chemeketa Community College, building 34 room A. Starts at 7:00 p.m.

Pugs