In the recent IWF videos a lot of us enjoyed there was something about what was referred to as wax removal frames. These were the 2 frames along the walls of the brood nest. The brood was unceremoniously sliced out of the frames and dumped ion a bucket. The empty frames were put back in the same place.
    Questions:
    1 Will this hive build drone comb only in that location?
    2. Is the wax reclaimable? Seems like it would be a little gloppy in the melter.
    3 Where was this film made?

Dick Marron

I'm interested in this too; wax harvesting interests me but I haven't seen much info on collecting it aside from cappings and old comb. Does anyone routinely run a hive for wax yield?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

If that's the video I saw, I thought they said they were putting those in to raise drones, and removing them as part of IPM.
    Lesli<br /> <a href=\"http://beeyard.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://beeyard.blogspot.com/</a>

Lesli
    That's what I thought but why wouldn't they just build mostly normal comb.

Ben,
    7 lbs of honey to make 1 lb of wax? With honey priced at 5$ a lb. retail, thats 35$ a lb for wax. Just a trifle expensive, No?

Dickm

Just wondering. My goal is honey for personal meadmaking and eating... it's not a livelihood for me. I guess I was thinking more of the price of syrup fed to them which is pretty modest.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO