I just started beekeeping with 2 hives I bought from a trusted friend. I'm a backyard beekeeper. I installed 2 packages with queens last Sat. (3/27) SBB, Beemax hive-top feeders. Plan to check for queens released on 4/3. So far, so good. Bees are already bringing pollen in, and taking the sugar water vigorously. I have 2 deeps with drawn comb and 2 med. supers, also with drawn comb, for each hive. The books say it will take about 4 weeks after installing the package before you add the second deep. This assumes foundation only. With all drawn comb, when would I add the second deep? After 7-8 frames are filled out with brood, pollen, etc.? Any insights are appreciated! I've never had so much fun with a hobby before.

That's what I did--when 8 frames were full, I added a second hive body and when that was full I put on the queen excluder and added a honey super. It really is a great hobby, isn't it? I just can't get over how fascinated I am with my girls! Have fun!

>This assumes foundation only. With all drawn comb, when would I add the second deep? After 7-8 frames are filled out with brood, pollen, etc.?

I think 7-8 frames is a good plan. It will just happen sooner with drawn comb, so pay attention.

Thanks, that's what I figured, but a fellow beekeeper with much experience told me to go ahead now and put on the second brood box. That's why I asked. I was also reluctant to add the other box because it still gets quite cold through the night. (35-40 deg.)

You CAN add it and they will probably do fine, but I prefer to keep it compact for the heat.

Thanks, again. All the info and help offered on this site is invaluable for a new beekeeper. It's not a simple hobby, but well worth the rewards. I've read 7 beekeeping books, attended a 12 week course, read hundreds of web pages, joined our local county beekeeping association, and I still can't get enough. This forum is one of my favorite places to learn more.