rawpaul Guest

It seems like a waste to crush and throw out queen cells to prevent swarming. Has anyone tried eating the queen grubs and the royal jelly they are laying in? It seems like that would be a very health supporting practice. Thanks!!

Eating bee larvae is pretty universal in the rest of the world. I've tasted it. But it's not my favorite. I've never tasted a queen larvae. Of course I don't count, because I also eat a lot of other raw things that a "wasichu" wouldn't touch. I think you could use the queen larvae for their pheromes. Squish them in your swarm traps maybe?

I don't know about that. It takes a few days of maturing before the queen smells like a queen. When a queen emerges, she is treated like another bee for a few days. The quuen cell, being smashed, would not smell right. I think it would just smell like the rest of the original hive.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

>I don't know about that. It takes a few days of maturing before the queen smells like a queen. When a queen emerges, she is treated like another bee for a few days. The quuen cell, being smashed, would not smell right. I think it would just smell like the rest of the original hive.

That may be. But they seem to act differently if there are queen cells than if there is no queen and no cells. So I would think there'd be some pheromes. Maybe you should just let them hatch and then squish them for pheromes.