I've read a bunch of folks who build hive stands out of 2X4s in a rectangle for two hives (or one). The reasoning seems to be that the dead air space provides some insulation, allows debris to fall through (with SBB), and the hive woodenware lasts longer. Makes sense, but doesn't having a "dead" space somewhat defeat the ventilation benefit of the SBB?

Has anyone tried opening up this kind of stand by removing, say, the front 2X4 for summer ventilation, and replacing it (perhaps when the SBB board goes back in) in the winter for insulation? Or maybe drilling some 1" air holes in the stand that can be corked for winter? Am I thinking way too much about ventilation?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Well, most SBB have a gap to slide in the tray. On mine that gap is 3/4" wide front and back, so there is 3/4" by 14 3/4" by 2(front and back) or 22 square inches of ventilation front and back, IF it were on a stand that blocked it all the way around. But my "hive stands" are two paralell eight foot treated four by fours that make rails that the hives set on. So there's also a 3 1/2" by 14" by 2(front and back) space on each side which is an additional 96 square inches.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

So obviously you don't sweat that big a gap for wintertime... I think I'll make a stand that doesn't go all the way 'round. We get pretty serious winds here ocasionally, but probably not that much colder or windier than your worst there. Thanks!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I put the tray in for wintertime. And there is always some grass slowing down the air that first 3 1/2" so it's not just howling in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF