Hybrid View

I have lost both of my hives this winter for some reason. One hive was weak going into the winter so I thought it would die, but the second one was strong last year. I talked to a local beekeeper and he said it was due to the trachea mites. He also told me how to treat them with chemicals. I would prefer to not use chemicals if possible. I know about the screened bottom board and the 4.9 mm cells for verroa mites, but don't know of natural ways for trachea mites.

Thanks,
    Oscar

Oscar try useing natural oils like wintergreen or lemon.
    been useing it for over 5 yrs and it works great.=not mites
    Don

Lots of places list recipes for or sell the crisco wintergreen patties. Also the FGMO fogging works on them.

Big Grin

Be careful with Crisco patties as they also seem to attract the Small Hive Beetle
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Oscar wrote:
    I would prefer to not use chemicals if possible. I know about the screened bottom board and the 4.9 mm cells for verroa mites, but don't know of natural ways for trachea mites.

Reply:
    The 4.9mm cells work for both varroa and trachael mites.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby

Question on the 4.9 mm cells.....I have bought some, but with my bees being dead, didn't have a chance to shake any down. Should I start the new package bees on this or wait until next spring?

Thanks for the replies.
    Oscar

I would definitely start any new package on 4.9mm. It's no different than starting them on regular foundation and you've already done the first shake down (well, the package bee company did). You'll be one step ahead.