This may sound like a silly question. A couple of friends have run several hundred hives for several years as 1 1/2s (Deep and Medium)with the deep on top to provide easier access to the frame feeder. This year they are switching back to putting the medium on top. They are convinced that the queen is very reluctant to go to the bottom medium. They say the bees won't use the bottom medium for anything at all and is totally wasted space. I do think that queens like the larger combs somewhat, but I don't understand why the configuration has not worked for them. I was considering shifting to this configuration, but now I am concerned that it won't work well. Have others had success running 1 1/2s with the deep on top?

beemaninsa i sent you some private messages; please check mailbox.

Lew in Waco

Beemaninsa,

I have been running 300+ hives with this configuration (1 & 1/2, deep on top) for about 3 years now. I have had no major problems with it. A strong hive with a good queen will utilize all the brood space available, IMO. The only problem I have had is in making nucs in the Spring. One year I tried adding the medium on the bottom of the nuc in the deep (in order to avoid having to reverse them later on). The bees were VERY reluctant to move down into the medium. Now I add the medium on top of the deep and reverse them in the Fall when stripping the honey off.
    Gregg Stewart

I've never tried that. But I do run them in all mediums and the queen usually is laying in at least three if not four or five boxes. Personally I think it's too complicated using different sizes at all but especially different sizes in the brood nest. I understand some people are looking for a brood nest that is "just right". But three mediums = two deeps, so if you want 1 1/2 deeps, two mediums is pretty close. Personally I still don't think that's enough room for a brood nest.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The reasons why I use this configuration are simple:
    1. Hives must be in two boxes for almond pollination in CA.
    2. Can fit more hives on a semi with 1 & 1/2 configuration than double deeps.

Beemaninsa, if I weren't pollinating in CA I'd keep the brood nest in a single deep (which I used to do, and winter them like that with more success than I had with double deeps) or 2 mediums, take your pick.
    Gregg Stewart

>The reasons why I use this configuration are simple:
    >1. Hives must be in two boxes for almond pollination in CA.

I'm curious. Would a hive of two mediums meet the pollenation criteria of being in two boxes?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Not positive, but I believe so (although I suppose each grower can stipulate what he wants in terms of numbers & sizes of boxes). Just kind of a general rule of thumb that I've heard; that the almond growers want the bees to be in at least "two boxes". Two mediums would be too small of a brood nest for me though.
    Gregg Stewart

Thanks for the reply and good advise Gregg and MB. Some people here who have not sent bees to California before were scrambleing to do so this year. The lowest price I heard was $80. Good luck and thanks again.

I believe with the bee shortage some almond producers would take singles just to have some bees
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964