a hollow tree split open exposing a fair size hive.
    I collected the combs which had been disrupted along with the bees on them.

Working with just what I had on hand I then tied a burlap bag around the split trunk covering the square foot of comb (with honey) still in good structural shape. Then covered the burlap with plastic, leaving an entrance, to protect hive from rain.

I had dropped the combs into a couple of plastic trash bags along with at least half the bees in the hive. Have no idea if queen is in the plastic bags, or still on the tree.

Rather than attempt to re-establish the hive, I think I'd like to just harvest what I have in the bags. But I'd also like to give those bees a chance at getting back to the hive. I wanted to preserve the combs and therefore missed my chance at shaking the bees off. I'm guessing the best course of action is to go back to the tree and see what I can do about getting them off the combs?

>I had dropped the combs into a couple of plastic trash bags along with at least half the bees in the hive. Have no idea if queen is in the plastic bags, or still on the tree.

I'm real fuzzy about this. You sealed live bees up in a plastic bag by dropping the combs with the bees on them into the plastic bags? If you did, I'm guessing they are all dead now.

>Rather than attempt to re-establish the hive, I think I'd like to just harvest what I have in the bags.
    'Harvest the honey in the bags? Just squeeze and drain.

>But I'd also like to give those bees a chance at getting back to the hive. I wanted to preserve the combs and therefore missed my chance at shaking the bees off. I'm guessing the best course of action is to go back to the tree and see what I can do about getting them off the combs?

I doubt they are alive, but if they are, you could go back and brush or shake them off. I don't know how broken up the comb is after putting it in the plastic, and how honey covered the bees are.

If they are alive they will be disheartened enough to not be real aggressive but an occasional one may be.

It would be best to wear a beesuit with a veil.