Wink

In a week or so I will have to add another deep. My question is: I have read that some keepers remove four frames from the original deep ,put these in the new hive body in the same position as they were in the original,then surround these with fresh frames. Then in the lower deep push the leftover frames towards the center and fill the rest with fresh frames. Is this reccomended or is it just as well to simply put an entire deep with new frames directly on top?

Hi,

I am one of those beekeepers that baits combs up. I only bring two up usually and not 4. With the foundations going into the center of bottom box (the two frames)every other comb manner while feeding. The bees will draw the 2 foundations out very,very quickly. Putting the deep on top work too. When in a hurry this is a good way too. Just sometimes some colonies are reluctant to go up and I find baiting up gets them in gear faster. Some beekeepers don't like to do this, other do.

Clay

I know there are many theories and there is more than one way to skin a cat (duh), or add a hive body. Maybe i'll bait it with three frames just to see what happens. I'm sure that they will do their business either way. thanks for the advice!

As Clay says there are various opinions on it. It will get them to move up quicker if you bait. My theory is that they are reluctant to move up because they want to maintain a compact brood nest and they don't want to get too spread out. If there's a three day cold rainy spell then they have trouble keeping the brood you moved up warm.