Noticed today we have had alot of drones with deformed wings. Found them outside the hive and they coulnt fly. They appear to be young bees. Atleast thats what i have determined from their color. They are rather light colored.Any one have any idea what the problem may be?

------------------
    Steven

Varroa.

------------------
    Dave Verville
    Fremont, NH USA

I thought it may be varora but that particular hive dosent seem to have much. Ive pulled the bottom board and cant find any mites. I also inspected several of the living drones. No sign. However put a few at the entrance and the workers attacked them. Never seen drones attacked this time of year. I have seen them run off in the fall, but in the spring. Could be varora but i seriously doubt it. I have been known to be wrong before. Thanks anyway.

------------------
    Steven

Smile

During this time of the year the Varroas are not sitting on the drones or bees.
    They have better things to do…breeding.
    You must have lots of the little guys in you colonies; make a test with Apistan or with an Oxalic Acid Vaporizer. If there is honey coming in don’t go for Apistan.

I had a hive last year with a batch of deformed workers and drones. Problem lasted a few days. This was a package I had just hived that spring. Was told that if a cold spell hits and they can't keep all the brood warm, the chill will deform them. They fixed it themselves after a week or so.

With the idea of v-mites, it may not always be with the pure numbers of mites as compared to the viral/bacteria problems they transmit.
    I dont have the info at my finger tips but from what I've heard/read, there is around 12 to 14 side deseases transmitted by the mites. Not all of these are understood. Keeping mite level low would make you believe that other problems won't exist, but who knows?

I had the same experience as ChellesBees this year, and we had a couple of late freezes about two weeks apart. One of my hives seemed to be rejecting some of the drones (mostly) and a few workers. This was also my weakest hive as far as numbers. Within a week or so, I didn't see anymore evidence of a problem.