I just received my package of bees, and one whole package looks dead, and probably only a third of the other is alive. Should I call Dadant, or is there something I can do?
    Thanks,
    Oscar

How long since they were shipped? How were they shipped?

Thesurveyor

They were shipped on the 15th, in little boxes from Dadant. I guess the typical shipping containers for bees. Should I call them?

Oh, and they arrived this morning.

Make sure they have some sugar water available and put some warm air on them. Any bee capable of surviving will be revived by the warm air/sunlight. Sounds as if they had a bad can of sugar and starved or they were exposed to freezing temps for a long period of time.
    Normally there is problems with the post office laying the boxes sideways and they drown from the sugar water coating or drowning the bees. Any indication of this?
    Good luck.

While I am a beekeeper, I also work in the airline industry. We move most the bees that are shipped by u.s. mail. If the bees were not marked very explicitly that they are a "live animal", it is possible they were placed into an area of an airplane that is not heated and doesn't have oxygen. Air at 30-40 thousand feet is very cold and has little oxygen. contact your post office if they were insured and contact Dadants.

Definitely call Dadant. I have had bees arrive dead. The Post Office employees are usually terrified of the bees and I've seen them put them in canvas mail bags on the dock in the sun because they didn't want them inside. They see one bee hanging on the outside and they think they are escaping. The other thing they do is throw it somewhere and it lands sidways and the syrup drowns the bees.

Apiphobia is rampant.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. What is the limit on amount of dead bees? If 1/3 are alive, is that enough?
    Oscar

I'm not sure how big the package is or was, but you can have a small nuc survive with a minimum of several hundred bees. Protect from cold/feed and find a queen as soon as possible.
    I would have Dadant replace the two packages and order a queen from another place and experience the joy of having the nuc grow. This is very rewarding.
    Or just add the bees that survive to the new packages using newspaper method. Personally I would try to save the nuc and end with three total hives if you can them replaced.

Oscar,

Don't settle for dead or half dead bees. Call Dadant! The bees should be insured usually. I am luck in my area the post here knows how to handle bees right down to watering queens and usually call when the bees hit the nearest city to let me know when they will arrive.

Clay

I should give credit, here in Lincoln NE/Greenwood NE I have had good luck. The Post Office in Lincoln will call the night before and I can pick them up there (20 mile trip) or wait until they get to my post office in the morning (6 mile trip) and my post office will call and I can pick them up there or they will deliver them. They have not mishandled them here like they did in other places I've lived.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I called Dadant and they are sending 2 new packages. It looked to me like they had too much sugar water and got drowned. All the bees were soaked! One whole package was dead, and the other one I put in a nuc. It's queen was alive as were probably a quarter of the 3lb. package. We'll see how they do, but by that evening they were getting adjusted to their new place.

My post office guy was the one that said they were dead...I think they were dead when they got to his place.

Thanks again everyone.
    Oscar

The way they get drowned is that the package gets laid on it's side somewhere along the trip and the syrup runs out. If it stays upright this won't happen.