I have two hives I want to split and need some clarifications of the side by side method. I've only done splits once and have never tried this method.
    Hive #1: this is a hive started from a package this spring. I combined with this hive, a hive that had a laying worker and was slowly dwindling to nothing. I think it is ready to be split.I will keep the original queen , since it is a package but want to purchase a new queen for the split.
    So if I split these hives tomorrow, can I wait til next Sat. to put in the new queen?

Hive #2: I want to split these two to make increase and requeen both hives.

As I understand it I should put the two split deeps side by side with half of the entrances where the original entrance was? Do I reduce the outside of the entrances?(is that a word) Put a lot of brood in the new split and feed the new split?
    Thanks for any help or tips you all can give me.
    Denise

>Hive #1: this is a hive started from a package this spring. I combined with this hive, a hive that had a laying worker and was slowly dwindling to nothing. I think it is ready to be split.I will keep the original queen , since it is a package but want to purchase a new queen for the split.
    So if I split these hives tomorrow, can I wait til next Sat. to put in the new queen?
    Hive

I would wait to split them until at least 24 hours before. I kinda like overnight. It's long enough for them to realize they are queenless so they will accept the new queen, but short enough they won't start a queen. Even in 24 they may start a queen. In a week they will almost be ready to seal the queen cell.

>#2: I want to split these two to make increase and requeen both hives.
    >As I understand it I should put the two split deeps side by side with half of the entrances where the original entrance was? Do I reduce the outside of the entrances?(is that a word) Put a lot of brood in the new split and feed the new split?

Some of it depends on where you want to end up. I often do a split where I'm trying to start a nuc with a queen and not impact the old hive too much. If you want to even the poulations, I think the best is to put both new hives facing where the old hive would have been. Meaning both entrances are 90 degrees from what the old one was and they are facing each other. That way neither is the prefered one. Putting them both facint the old way but each halfway into the old sapce, as you said may work almost as well, but I haven't tried it that way so I'm not sure.

The way I do it (using single broodboxes) is to leave a box with the queen, one comb of brood, and foundation on the original site. The rest of the brood is moved to one side, with all the house bees, and they raise a new queen. I've tried leaving each part with half the broodnest and it hasn't worked as too many bees abandon the queenless part and move back in with mum.

Thanks for the input. I split hive #1 today.
    Boy was it hot! I have the hives side by side with the entrances reduced to the original entrance of the main hive. We'll see how it goes. I suspect this may have been a two queen hive since both brood boxes , separated by two supers had brood, larvae and eggs in them. Time will tell.
    Denise