Question

In reading about older beekeeping method I have seen references to forcing the bees to store honey inside a ornimental glass or a bell shaped glass. Has anyone tried this? this should like a fun thing to incorporate into an observation hive. Any ideas on what type of glass could be used?

http://outdoorplace.org/beekeeping/natural.htm http://outdoorplace.org/beekeeping/history5.htm

Most anything will work. If you go to a gardening section of a department store you might find a plastic one for growing plants in. A fish bowl upside down. Any glass jar. It helps if you cover it so it's in the dark. If you put a jar on top of the inner cover and a box around it and a lid on top, you can peek in and see them work it.

How about using the square cut comb jars with multiple holes in an inner cover and then sell the comb in the jar later?

Smile

I put some 1# stright sided jars in a board that replaced the inercover, I had 6 jars but the only drew out 3 but I had a nice convrecation piece, tried this year and they wont touch them but I have a 1 gal. glass jug on a hice in the asme maner and it is about full of all manner of crossed up comb, I hop it will bee done for the Fair.
    Geed luck: Ed

This is the first time I've heard anything like this mentioned on this forum, but I remember talking to a guy that said he knew a beekeeper who sold all his honey in glass jars. He cut a peice of plywood to fit the top of a super, stacked pint jars on it, traced a pattern, then drilled holes to match the center of the jars. He put this on top of a regular super and covered it with a hive cover. When he took it off he filled all of the jars to the same level with extracted honey and sold it pre-packaged by bees. Sounds like a pretty good idea but I would be worried about ventilation.

Lightbulb

That sounds neat I'm going to try something like that for next year. It would be nice to have something like that to take to the fair.

I drilled a 1" hole in each corner of the plywood for ventilation and covered it with 8 wire and the girls put proplus on it guess they don`t want ventilation.

Try a 2" hole. They always propolize everything, but they start at the edges and 2" take them a lot longer.