Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Shrews

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  clintonbemrose 
G
#1 ·
Hi
I've heard tell about the mice.
Has anybody had problems with shrews? I have a yard full of them, never seen a mouse. All I know is that shrews are vicious predators... the ones in the house we baited with ham (and got them!). They wouldn't touch the honey, but bees are tasty, I'd think.
If they are a problem, would they need a different entrance guard due to size difference?

G
#3 ·
All right, all right!
I mean the little furry mole like creatures with the poisonous bite, not my wife!!!

She may nag me a bit, but my wife really is wonderful. (oh he's just off to check his bees again).

#4 ·
Hi
I've heard tell about the mice.
Has anybody had problems with shrews? I have a yard full of them, never seen a mouse. All I know is that shrews are vicious predators... the ones in the house we baited with ham (and got them!). They wouldn't touch the honey, but bees are tasty, I'd think.
If they are a problem, would they need a different entrance guard due to size difference?
Answer:
Yes I have had problems with shrews and have put a metal mouse gard that has only a 3/8 inch tall opening that is only about 7 inches long. This keeps the buggers out so they do not damage the brood combs. They love brood but seem to leave honey alone.
Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose
just South of Lansing Michigan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.