East Texas Pine Rooter Guest

I had a call from a man that has bees in a speaker box. i don't know what size it is. i think i will go out with 2-empty brood boxes, one with some empty frames, in case i need to rubber band some comb. If i can fit the speaker box inside the brood boxes, strap them down, then work them after they settle down in there new location. Should i plan to go ahead and work them now, what ever i run into? for my first year i have made plenty of mistakes.

Wow, I had a speaker box call too, about a month ago. A farmer has a stereo in his barn, the speakers suspended about twenty-five foot up on the ceiling. Under it was all kinds of metal scraps and welding equipment in a huge pile. He wanted me to bring it down... I don't think so.

If they don't want the speaker and you think it is too late, just bring it home and transfer them next spring if they survive the winter. I think that here it is not quite too late with feeding. After September 1st I would leave them as is in the established box for the winter.

I agree with BULLSEYE BILL. You need to take a look at the situation. You just might be able to transfer the hive as is and when you have time take the comb out and place it into a regular hive. Be nice if you also had a bee vacuum set up. My bet would be to take speaker and all to the new location then work on the hive. If you can't do it soon leave it alone till next spring. Be easier to transfer the ladies and it would be similar to setting up a package of bees. Have fun.
    Dan

One thing I've learned on removals: Things are always different when you get there than you though they were.