dcromwel Guest

If my bees drink from a neighbor's pool (~60 yards away), can that give the honey a chlorine taste? If they drink from a muddy and potentially polluted river ~500 yards away, does that present a problem for plans to harvest and ingest their honey?

Thanks,

David in Baltimore

Not going into too much detail, the answer to both questions is no. I would think about giving them alternative water sources other than the neighbors pool.

Bees crap out impurities and the like. It would have to do more with the health of the bees from polluted water. Nectar collection is another story. It seems if it doesn't kill the bees, and they naturally filter it for you, than you shouldn't have a concern. They really don't collect water, than add it to nectar to get it to honey.

I should add that collection of sugar sources can effect honey flavor. During a dearth, bees will collect from any sugar source available. If you are close to a candle factory, soda bottler, and other processing center, you could get different tastes from the various sugar collected from waste bins, etc. This and the amount of pollen from the extracted comb effect taste. Not from water sources.

I agree with Bjorn. They don't add the water to the nectar, they use it for other things. And they filter very well. But it won't make good neighbor relations to have them getting into the neighbors pool, plus I'll bet a lot of them will drown in it.