Question

I install my first to packages of bees on April 5th... I was given 3 frames of drawn foundation and have been feeding them sugar water @ 1 to 1... When I opened the hives to check on them and there was only one side of foundation drawn out on each side of the original drawn foundation... How long does it take to draw a frame of foundation out(I realize that there are a million different things that my affect this)...

P.S. This is great Webs site... I have learned alot of very helpful informaion, keep up the great work...

Each situation is different but feeding 1-1 syrup helps them draw out the foundation, they think it is a nectar flow. Hope this helps. Dale

Rember it takes approx 8# of necture to make 1# of comb.

------------------
    'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

bleh, and there is something like a total of 1-2 Lbs. of wax in a fully drawn and capped deep box. Not that much wax in comb production.

On a side note, I saw a bee in my hive day before yesterday that was so full of fresh wax scale that its underside looked like a snake's belly.

As well the bees definately build raw comb much faster than drawing foundation. Also the bees don't seem to build or draw foundation outside of their cluster at the beginning. When they need room for stores they build outside, but since they are just developing a brood nest in the beginning they only build within the cluster, the bees can't raise brood outside the cluster. So perhaps your cluster only fits between 2 or 3 frames.

Is this so?

I believe that you may be correct... The frames that are drawn out are covered w/ bees... The new comb is currently being used just for pollen storage... It is nice to see the hive expanding... The queen that I received is very dark, it is fun to see all the young bees which are also dark compared to the much lighter package bees...