Hybrid View

SHB are ahead of me and the hive. Need suggestions. Have removed all infected frames and hose washed them. But every day find one or two more - believe bees have given up also. Roy

BILLY BOB Guest

Hi Roy,

If the bees have given up I don't know if they can be saved. It sounds like, at this point all you can do is keep washing out the cone. I don't have it with me, but I read in last months ABJ about using different house hold products to wash out the infected cone to remove SHB eggs and larva. It will be tomarrow befor I'll have a chance to get back to the house.

Is the soil sandy around your hives? I'm in Ga. and I try to keep my hives on top of good old red clay. Another thing, I don't try to keep the fire ants away from my hives ether. I'll be glad to give up a qt. of honey to the ants if they help keep the SHB under control.

If someone doesn't post what was said in the ABJ I'll do it tomarrow.

Billy Bob

Billy Bob: appreciate your response to my SHB problem; broke down the hive this morning - washed out all frames that looked to contain SHB. Had a response that suggested reducing the hive to a neuc and let them begin again. They were so disturbed this morning that I could not find the queen. Roy

BILLY BOB Guest

Hi Roy,

I found the artical in ABJ. It talks about using house hold products to remove SHB larva from the cone. (ABJ 2002 page 439)

They used water, vineger, oil/water mix, detergent, and bleach. As you could guess, the bleach worked the best, going back to water with the lowest mortality rate.

As far as how the bees took back to the cone after treatment. Bleach and detergent took upwards of 24 hrs. Wtaer and vineger about 2 hrs.

This is the basic part of what was said. If you want more I'll send it to you.

Have you tried closeing the entrance on the bottom board and using a 1 1/2 pvc pipe for a entrance when SHB first become a problem in a hive? The trick is to know when SHB is a problem in a hive.

I hope this helps, if not with this hive maybe the next.

Billy Bob