Thread: Slatted Rack

Question

I have read that a slatted rack improves ventilation. How? The hive entrance is still the same and with a rack, you have reduced the bee-space under the brood frames.

HELP Please!!!

Hi Dave,

You need to get a copy of the book Honey In The Comb, by Mr. Killion. It explains the original use of the Slatted Rack which is different today than then. Basically the side walls of the killions bottom boards were quite tall and the rack was used to maintain bee space to prevent the bees from building combs off the bottom of the frames. The Killions liked this space as it provided clustering space after the colonies were cut down for section production and was believed to help with congestion a bit. Also is one of the best books on section production. You should take a gander at what the slatted rack originally looked like.

Clay

Wink

Clay

Thanks for the tip, we'll make sure that book is on our "to-read" list.

Dave W

The slatted rack adds space. It does not take it up. As stated above, the spacing is so they don't build combs down into the area, but the point is to provide space for bees to cluster and they will have more room to ventilate.

I have not had the chance or time to experiment with one, but I have one built and will try it this spring.

Here is what I am getting from your comments:

When using a standard bottom board without a statted rack, there is 7/8" from the bottom of the brood frames to the floor. Adding a rack (per plans on this site) decreases the beespace under the frames (to slats) to 3/8" (no room to build comb). But, under the slats, the height has increased and allows more bees to cluster and by their fanning, increase ventilation.

It is now my understanding that slatted racks originated with comb production. And I see how they might provide some reduction in crowding/swarm control.

Thanks for your Help.

Dave W

I think you've got it.