Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Feeding

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mhoel 
#1 ·
This will be our first year at keeping bees.
Is there any advice relating to sugar types to use in feeding and drawing foundation?
Our new hives are starting from nucs and will have 6 deep frames of undrawn foundation. I plan on top feeding. Are there advantages or disadvantages to using fructose over standard granulated sugar or brown sugar for the syrup? What is best ratio for startup in spring to draw comb?

------------------
Mike

[This message has been edited by mhoel (edited 04-29-2000).]

#2 ·
At this time of year when pollen and probably some nectar is coming into the hive, I'm not sure there is an advantage to using fructose syrup over sugar water. I think this has greater significance when you are feeding in the fall for over-wintering on. Since I rarely feed my bees, all I have ever used is white sugar. It's been used by beekeepers for many a years. I think what's more important is that you do feed with something when starting bees on foundation only. I've been mixing a 1 to 1 ratio for my feeding this spring and my nuc is taking in a quart per day.

I just posted some photos on it at: http://www.beesource.com/eob/4dot9/index.htm

Regards,
Barry

#3 ·
This season is only the second time I've started packages but I've read everything I could lay my hands on for around 10 years now, and I've always read that brown sugar is NOT an acceptable food source for bees. I've used granulated sugar 1:1 in the Spring and 2:1 in the fall with excellent results.

#4 ·
Tom -

You are quite right about the brown sugar. I failed to catch that one in the original post. White ganulated sugar, stored honey, isomerized corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup are the recommended types and they can be feed in several different forms (ie sugar water, sugar candy, powdered sugar on the inner cover, fondant, etc.).

Regards,
Barry

#5 ·
Thanks to all for the info. Right now I am feeding cane sugar mixed 1:1, and they are sucking it up pretty rapidly.

I have heard and read some warnings on the suitability of some of the High Fructose Corn syrups as some have additives. I guesss you have to be careful.

------------------
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.