Question

I have two hives for the first time this year. One seems to be thriving and has almost filled two brood chambers. The other one is not doing as well. A month after I installed it something haopened to the queen and the hive laid several dozen queen cells. I decided to just let it go and see what happened. Today I went in and all the queen cells are gone and/or empty. The population has grown but I still don't see a whole lot of brood. They have drawn out the better part of four frames but they seem mostly to be full of honey. Should I just add this brood box of the thriving hive? I thought I could put newspaper inbetween the brood boxes and give them a few days to get to know thier new hive. I just don't think they will build enough through the rest of the summer to live through the winter.

BILLY BOB Guest

Hello,

If the queen is laying, I wouldn't combine the hives. I had a slow queen in one of my hives earler this season. Now it's one of my stronger hives.

If you realy don't like what the queen is doing you can replace her. To help build up the hive you can also add one or two frames from your strong hive. Feeding it will help too. There should still be plenty of time for the hive to build up for winter in NC.

Billy Bob

I would give the weak hive a chance.I was looking back at some notes from last year and I had a colony that was weak and I was worried about it about this same time. It ended up producing over 200 lb. of honey by late fall and wintered in three deeps, as all threee had brood. Ken