Thread: dead bees

yesterday the temp was about 75-78 deg. all 9 of my hives were working very hard, woke up this morning went out and looked at the hives and 4 hives had the landing board covered with dead bees about an inch thick? the temp dropped down to about 50 deg. last night, could that kill them or do you think its from pesticides? i have seen maybe 3-8 bees on average laying on the landing before which i think is common. what should i look for. thanks

Sad

No the temp should not have done any damage to your hives. Looks to me like you got pesticide damage. Call or look around and see if someone applied poison in your area. DOT (mosquito spraying ditches), heath department (aerial spraying for mosquitos), farmers spraying crops, etc. Contact cooperative extention. Save some bees, pollen, brood, and honey and keep it in the freezer for later on if you need to go to court.

See:
    http://www.beesource.com/eob/laws/fifra/index.htm

I hope it is not pesticides but if it is , your honey, pollen and frames might be contaminated and should be disposed of. Might want to let the sprayer know of your problem plus the damages that you suffered. They are suppose to notify the beekeeepers in the area if they are going to spray. It is up to them and not you to find out.
    Sorry about your loss.
    Dan

[This message has been edited by bjerm2 (edited July 27, 2004).]

got about 20 bees dead today on landing board. yesterday this hive swarmed and i happened to be here and was able to catch it. was wondering if it would be better to combine this swarm with a weaker hive i have or feed it to build up for winter? this was also my stongest hive up until yesterday. i was also wondering if i had a colony that was doing alot of robbing and they went into the hive that has the dead bees every morning, could these dead bees be from fighting. thanks for the help, bob

It's kind of late to start up a new hive. There won't be that much time to raise brood. I would combine the hives using the newspaper method. Place the swarm on top of the existing hive in a brood box with a sheet of newspaper. Cut a few short slits into the paper along the length of the frames. About 2 inches no bigger. Use your hive tool just to make a small cut. In a few days they will be combined.
    Dan

i should kill the queen thats with the swarm then put them together with newspaper between them should'nt i

Beesandy,

I wouldnt kill the queen right off the bat.. Put her and a few bees in a small box/cage etc.

Just in case something goes wrong and the original queen gets killed, this way you have one just in case.

if i water a queen and say 4 workers water while there in a queen box how long can she stay in there before she dies or gets to stressed, thanks, bob

Im not really positive of the answer to that question but I think that if the worker / attendant bees are feed 2:1 sugar water or even better some honey then they most likely will live and keep producing royal jelly for the queen. Im not sure of their water requirments but we are talking of a week maybe alittle more.