Just peeked @ ebay/farm/beekeeping. Someone selling "new in box" 10 medium frames. In picture I see that they are "Sears". Current bid is $8.50. Someone is off their rocker. Sears hasn't sold frames for many years. New price today for frames is much less.

Ebay used to be a good place to get a deal, now it is almost comical.

I think I am going to take all my old used equipment sell it on ebay at close to new prices, then spend the difference buying new stuff from dadant.

As an auctioneer, I can say the same for estate/farm auctions on Saturday morning, etc. Up till two years ago, I could attend an auction and make out with unbelievable deals. Pick-up truck loads of boxes for pennies on the dollar. Then for the past two years, every auction with bee stuff has been attended by more and more bidders, and prices have been going up to book price. On an average auction, getting close to 50% is considered about right for most items. With bee items, some are happy just to save on the shipping. I think there are alot of people getting into beekeeping and used prices are just nuts. On ebay, something I've pointed out several times, there are items on a weekly basis that sell for more then "new" book price, and this is for "used".

If anyone close to me wants to buy my used items for more than book price, let me know. Then I can take that money and buy new, and pocket the difference. I'll save you the shipping as long as you pay book price. For some, thats probably a deal. So come on down, and make a deal.......

I've got a lead on used bee eqipment.. My friend is checking into it for me.

Family is moving and trying to decide if they want to haul it around...

Wish me luck!

In my area a lot of the old used boxes are homemade with no reguard to bee space. I pass up alot and the owners think there worth a fortune. I hate messing with them as the bees build comb were "I" don't think they should.

The other obsured thing on ebay is the listings from beesupply. They will list a hive for "buy it now" with a price of say $79.00 Then they start the bidding at $5.00 And the price will go to 60 or 70 dollars, and the reserve has not yet been met. Is this a cheap way of "advertising" on ebay without actually selling anything? An auction and therefore "price" should be what the market dictates by demand. Do they ever sell anything without people having to pay the full "buy it now" price? I would never buy anything that comes from a process such as this. If they want a minimum price, which is lower than the buy it now price, then start there. Not 60 dollars below the "reserve" price.

I always wonder why a reserve is a secret. If there is a minimum what is the disadvatage to any for us to know it? I agree a minimum that is as high as the "buy it now" price is silly. The buy it now, I think, was invented for people who were just selling things, not auctioning things.

those 10 frames are now over $10.05

That is more than double new cost from a reputable dealer such as Western.

I did alot of ebay a few years back. The reserve is like a by bidder at an estate sale. You are bidding on your own item. My wife and I solved this by using 2 different accounts so that you did not know there was a reserve. Many people will not even bid on a reserve auction. You do have to pay a little more if it is a no sale but I kept my reserve real low and it only happened a couple of time. I just think things like those frames selling for $10 is crazy.

There is a big difference between Ebay and the Saturday morning estate sale. First, the auctioneering profession, does not allow ghost bidding, operating as a shill, or the auctioneer (or those working for) from bidding on the sale items. This is not to be confused with a "left" bid. Ebay is not regulated and having two accounts, having someone else bidding to run the bid up, or other manipulation techniques, are unregulated and tarnish the professional world of true auctioneering. I wish the term "aution" was not allowed to be used. Having two accounts to "keep a reserve secret"? Thus running up a bid. If you want a minimum, just set the start price at the minimum price you want, thus eliminated the "reserve" that you say people dont like anyways. One way is honest, and one way is deceptive. People acually always complain about the goverment regulation, and then go out and do what they can to allow the goverment to one day do it. Some are already wanting to have regulations, and oversight built into the ebay system, beyond their own useless monitoring, and if that happens, it will be a shame.

An auction by definition, is accepting the highest bid, as dictated by market supply and demand, at the current time. Anything that deceptively alters that is not an auction in my opinion.

Big Grin

shill bidding is illegal on e-bay and they have ways to track such bids (ever hear of a isp#?) at any rate, e-bay will only reprimand you for shill bidding.

The reason that bids often start so low is because of the fact that e-bay charges your initial ad cost as a percentage of the starting price.

Buy-it-now is just an easy way for people to buy things (and you to sell them) without waiting.

the reserve price is a little "anti-auction" but it saves you from losing your shirt on something.

It has become much harder to get a good deal on e-bay but they are definately to be had. The beekeeping stuff is typically low grade crap. Oooh, a rusty, 40 year old smoker for $20.00 jump on that thing!!

I suppose I should go dig this out of documentation at EBay . . . but I'd rather hear it from people with experience. Knowing the payment/charge structure at EBay will help me understand the dynamics of how the bidding moves.

How much of a fee does the seller pay to EBay, and how is it determined? Based on what I've read in this thread, it sounds like there's a fee even if the article does not sell, and it's based on the minimum bid? If the article does sell, is the fee based on the sale price?

While I agree that any resemblence between what happens at EBay and "auction" is tenuous at best, I do realize that the common aspect is that you can throw a lot of money at things that are not worth it. I hope that it's also possible to get a good buy, too. Maybe not in beekeeping gear, from what I've read.

As to the deals you never know what will come up. There is a listing charge then if you do put a mimium bid and it does not sell you are charged by percentage as if it did sell. For the reserve there is a flat fee for putting a reserve on that item. This is why there are so many reserves auctions starting at .01. Ebay has a relisting clause. Part of it is you must lower either your starting price for a non reserve auction or lower your reserve on a reserve auction. If you choose to do so and they do not charge but the listing fee for the first auction.

As with anything, you need to know what your buying and how much it's worth. Deals are possible on ebay but its also easy to loose your shirt if you don't know what your bidding on. Scams are pretty rampant as well.

But, I did buy a brand new in the box smoker for $4.50 with $5 shipping. It was listed wrong under 'smoke pot' and did not show under 'beekeeping' at all.

Kurt

>> It was listed wrong under 'smoke pot' and did not show under 'beekeeping' at all.

This is the second mention of getting a good buy on beekeeping equipment which was mis-categorized (the other being an extractor which was listed as a planter). You must spend a lot of time on EBay to run into this. There is SO much stuff there that I can't imagine just browsing around and finding this kind of misidentfied bargain.

I will say, the sellers seem to range from barely literate to very polished. I would be very hesitant to put in a bid on something listed in all caps with every other word spelled wrong.

Aside from beekeeping stuff, ebay has it's uses. A few years back Target discontinued their It's A Wonderful Life Village and I'd never have gotten the pieces I still wanted if it weren't for ebay. I admit I paid "top dollar" for one of them...but it was the only way I knew of to acquire them at that point! I also got a couple cheaper than they were when they sold at Target. Which kinda surprised me...I really thought them being discontinued would raise their value. All that controversy, ya know?

Another one from today...

Someone is selling (starting bid) 20 sheets of shallow Duraglit for $16.99. More than the list price at Dadant! People are insane!

i spent a few hours on ebay emailing the sellers who were trying to rip the ignorant public off. Got some vitrolic replies blasting me etc. So I wasted their time adding to their cost of sales.

Why won't Dadant or Mann Lake or Beeeverybody else just get out there make a few advertising type posts to let the market know what beginner prices are.