Cool

Which company carries it? Do you have any preferences?

Thanks,
    Martha

It all comes from Dadant. You can BUY the small cell wax foundation from Brushy Mt. as well. Not sure who else stocks the wax besides Dadant. http://www.dadant.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=38 It comes in packages of 25lbs http://www.dadant.com/catalog/defaul...sort=1a&page=2 10 sheets or 50 sheets. Last I heard only Dadant had the plastic. http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=622

As far as preferences, look at the total cost plus shipping. I've bought from both Dadant and Brushy Mt depending on what else I was ordering. To add it to an order is usually less shipping than a seperate order. Both companies are fine to do business with. All of it is the same product, coming from Dadant.

I bought some from Dadant. It comes unwired and it was a lot of fun to install. (Really) I decided to use all small cell in new swarms this year. In reality some of them will be mixed with old comb and will have normal supers on top of the hive bodies. Am I going to have a mess. What can I expect.

Dickm

>I bought some from Dadant. It comes unwired and it was a lot of fun to install. (Really)

Too bad it isn't avaialable wired.

>I decided to use all small cell in new swarms this year. In reality some of them will be mixed with old comb and will have normal supers on top of the hive bodies. Am I going to have a mess. What can I expect.

I wouldn't expect a mess. They will not draw it quite as small as 4.9mm but they will probably draw it 5.15mm or so. They will do some "adjustment" cells here and there to make it come out.

I have heard some people say that sometimes a bunch of bees don't seem to want to work it right, but I hear that about plastic and other things too.

I think it will work out fine. Then just add frames of empty 4.9mm to the middle of the brood nest from time to time and you'll end up with all 4.9mm

Dee says that some of the willingness to build a cell size is short term memory rather than bee size. Makes some sense when you seen them work a starter strip of 4.9mm and then continue in that size most of the rest of the way down the frame. If you keep the package in a dark cool basement and make sure they have enough to eat for a couple of extra days they will be less likley to insist on bigger cells.

But even if you don't I wouldn't expect any problems.

Cool

Can you mix the small size with the regular size? If I put the small on either side of the brood I'm getting from Sarah (the farm girl), will they take to it?

I'm thinking of putting small cell in one hive and using regular in the other and pop a drone frame in both. And a screened BB for both too.

Well, you heard the song about Kansas City right? I'm just one of those crazy little women.

Thanks,
    Martha

>Can you mix the small size with the regular size? If I put the small on either side of the brood I'm getting from Sarah (the farm girl), will they take to it?

Sure. Just keep moving the large cell ones out toward the outside until they ARE on the outside and the bees will fill them with honey instead of brood.

>I'm thinking of putting small cell in one hive and using regular in the other

Why? If you're putting small cell comb in it will give you more resources if both have it.

> and pop a drone frame in both.

I decided against the drone frame since the small cell and the FGMO seemed to keep it under control. Drones are a big investment for the bees that's a frame of brood that could have been workers.

>And a screened BB for both too.

I like the SBB.