Hi All, I thought I would pass along the name of an excelent book on a year of beekeeping. This book was written by Sue Hubbell and publlished by Random House. To preveiw the book a bit, this lady moved to south central Missouri after a divorce and started Beekeeping. At one time she had 350 hives. Interesting reading. (Of course every beekeeper has their own ideas. That is what makes it so interesting) Dale

------------------

What was the name of the book?

"A BOOK OF BEES" By Sue Hubble. Good Book, Dale

------------------

I've read it and you're right, it's interesting and well written.

Does the book have good pictures to go with it? I have found it is hard to understand a lot of the topics on hive quality, when I don't really know what I am physically looking for when I open my hive up. Anyone know of any other books that are helpful and has good pictures? Thanks

The best book with good pictures and good info that I have found so far is "Beekeeping for Dummies"

Dave

I saw a few posts on this book so i ordered it and got it in from amazon the other day.

wow what a FANASTIC little book, it's a very interesting and informative read.

the author has a great way of tying in the fundamentals of beekeeping in clever way and she keeps you wanting to read more. her humor and the books hand drawn illustrations are a breath of fresh air.

after reading beekeeping for dummies (which was given to me) i was left with lots of questions. I find "dummy" books to basic for me personally i dont care to be "spoon" fed i like more information and details then this line of books ever give.

i ended up finding the answers to many of my questions using the web but feel if i had read sue's book first i would have had a much better idea of the "art" behind beekeeping.

i highly recommended this great book for the new and old involved in beekeeping.

Arrow

Yes, Sue Hubbell's book is very good. Another one that I would highly recommend is The Queen Must Die and other affairs of Bees and Men by Longgood. It is so well written and interesting that I could hardly put it down. It may be out of print but can be found at Half.com or other used bk websites. Try at the library too.

Sue also wrote another book that is interesting called "A COUNTRY YEAR"

thanks for the other titles i ordered both from amazon.

Cool

Don't forget "The secret Lives of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd (or is it Kidd Monk?).

These little old black ladies and their honey.

I read the other books by Sue Hubble too. Great reads. I just returned another one to by bee clubs library that was a novel/beekeeping book too. It was about a single lady and her young daughter and their adventure of beekeeping.Sorry, I can't remember the name.

Martha

rocky ridge bees Guest

hi all , i found a book in library called keeping bees by john vivian. its sort of like the dummy book but he gos in to ideas of how to put your supers on ,how to get full cone for cut cone honey . he even shows you how to make a home made foundation press . make your own foundation at home.oh yea he alsoi has a chapter on lining real book book. DEANO

kenplr writes: Another one that I would highly recommend is The Queen Must Die and other affairs of Bees and Men by Longgood

My all time favorite too. Still for sale on Amazon; new and used. Amazon also bundles Longgood's book with Hubbell's book and knocks off a few dollars for both. (I confess to having not yet read Sue Hubbell's book yet, but from reading the posts I guess I will get to it soon.)

another good resource to get used books is www.powellbooks.com and if you purchase $50 worth shipping is free.

amazon sells used books too but you end up paying just as much for the book in shipping of each title

I just purchased all of sue hubell's writings, i enjoyed here "a book of bees" that much
    http://www.powells.com/s?kw=sue+hubell

NH Beekeeper

------------------------------------------
    Have you seen BeeBlogs.com ?