This is my 2nd yr with bees. I currently have 3 Carniolan hives and want to switch 2 of them over to Italian because of their propensity to swarm and also just to experience the difference in the 2 races. I recently had a swarm issue from each of the 2 hives and now cannot find the new queen or any sign of her in either of the 2 hives (i.e. no larvae) Even if she is there and hasn't started laying yet I would still like to replace her now. I realize that this isn't the best time of year to be replacing queens but I figure that if I don't have a laying queen already in these 2 hives maybe this is as good a time as any.
    So, my question is, can I introduce these Italian queens that I ordered into these 2 hives easily even though the current race of each is Carniolan? I've done a lot of reading about this but somehow never seen anything about switching the race this way. And what is the best method to be used in this case? Thank you for your help. Ken

if you can get an italian queen right now it should not be difficult to requeen but the virgin that is likely in the hive will kill the new queen, you need to find her before you requeen with any purchased queen.

>can I introduce these Italian queens that I ordered into these 2 hives easily even though the current race of each is Carniolan?

I haven't noticed any problems doing this.

>I've done a lot of reading about this but somehow never seen anything about switching the race this way. And what is the best method to be used in this case?

Any common introduction method will work fine. You NEED to find the old queens first. They will be MUCH easier to find after they are laying. They will be bigger, slower and act more like a queen. When they are virgins, they are smaller, quicker, more flighty and hide more.

If you introduce the new queens with a virgin in the hive, odds are they will reject the new queen because they know there is a queen in the hive.

>I currently have 3 Carniolan hives and want to switch 2 of them over to Italian because of their propensity to swarm...

I take it you don't want to change to Italians because of their propensity to swarm?

Swarming is what bees do. They do it because of conditions in the hive. I see your swarming problem as a management problem not a race problem. Some races take different management, but it is more of a timing issue.

I prefer the carni's over the Italians, you will hear the opposite on this board as well. I like the overwintering abilities of the carni's who use less stores and build up faster in the spring. It is this ability that causes the beekeeper who gets caught off guard to end up watching thier bees fly off.

If you use proper management as well as insuring that they have a young queen, one installed in the fall, they will not swarm any more than any other race.